[comp.sys.apollo] The ORGANIZATION variable

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (06/10/90)

What is the ORGANIZATION environment variable used for, if anything?
I am trying to set up some news software, and all this software likes
to use the ORGANIZATION environment variable to indicate what should
go in the poster's Organization: field.  Evidently this collides
head-on with Apollo's use of the variable, so I would really like to
unset or redefine it in everyone's login script.  Will any Apollo
software break if I do this?  We run in a pure bsd4.3 environment and
avoid all aegis-y things as much as we can...

The alternative would be to change the news software to use a
different variable but this would be a pain with both software (we run
both gnus and rrn) and documentation needing to be changed and updates
coming in, and all that.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (06/14/90)

In article <CMM.0.88.644971087.hanche@hufsa.imf.unit.no> hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
>What is the ORGANIZATION environment variable used for, if anything?

Something to do with the access control lists.

>I am trying to set up some news software, and all this software likes
>to use the ORGANIZATION environment variable to indicate what should
>go in the poster's Organization: field.  Evidently this collides
>head-on with Apollo's use of the variable, so I would really like to
>unset or redefine it in everyone's login script.  Will any Apollo
>software break if I do this?  We run in a pure bsd4.3 environment and
>avoid all aegis-y things as much as we can...
>
>The alternative would be to change the news software to use a
>different variable but this would be a pain with both software (we run
>both gnus and rrn) and documentation needing to be changed and updates
>coming in, and all that.

The option we've taken here is to change the variable to "NEWSORG".
The change really only needs to be made in one place in the RN
software, and probably only one place in the NN software, and I
seriously doubt that any patches will fail due to the change -- it's
going to be in a very stable area of the code.  The documentation
only needed to be changed in one place too -- they don't devote a
tremendous amount of time and verbiage to the "ORGANIZATION" variable.

Also, the name "NEWSORG" is more specific and descriptive, so I think
it's a better choice for news software.

--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better