[comp.sys.apollo] AFS,

awhitton@bcara132.bnr.ca (Alan Whitton) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.165124.15493@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

> You can't have both new features and compatibility.  For example, the
> //netroot that you like so much breaks plenty of programs.  Even the
> simplest things, like widening the mtime in the stat struct to 64 bits so
> you can have microseconds, will break old programs.  The sad thing is that
> in most cases, the program was broken to begin with, but its defects only
> show up when you try to add a new feature to your operating system.  People
> don't care about this, though.  The only thing they care about is "your
> operating system broke my program."

Ah but if you look at AFS it looks remarkably like the Apollo File System
(an AFS of a different kind). In AFS you can access attached nodes via:

ls /afs/foo.edu/bsd4.3   whereas in Apollo you would do
ls //foo/bsd4.3

Looks similar? I think so.....

Cheers,
Alan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"
BITNET: awhitton@bnr.ca  OR  UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!forum!awhitton

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.190554.1416@bnrgate.bnr.ca>,
awhitton@bcara132.bnr.ca (Alan Whitton) writes:
> Ah but if you look at AFS it looks remarkably like the Apollo File System
> (an AFS of a different kind). In AFS you can access attached nodes via:
>
> ls /afs/foo.edu/bsd4.3   whereas in Apollo you would do
> ls //foo/bsd4.3

But that's just syntax.  You still have to have a list of all your nodes
("cells" in AFS terminology) somewhere, although you don't have to mount
each one individually.

The thing I like about the Domain File System is that it's completely
democratic.  Each node is both a client and a server, and they all get the
same view of the file system.  When you plug in a new node, it can
immediately see everyone else's files, and everyone else can see its files.