[comp.sys.apollo] Boot error

ran@cns.umist.ac.uk (Bob Nutter) (06/06/90)

Hi!

I've just spent a day and a half trying to get one of our 4000's to
boot off a 3000 (as usual). Every time I got the same error:

	(blah, blah, blah, bytes loaded...)
	81270001 Boot error: can't get UID

-the code means 'operation attempted on unopened stream'

I thought this was due to the fact that I had changed some acl's
rather foolishly in our authorised area (which is hard linked to the os
on that node). I'd gone around making sure everything that needed
setuid'ing, etc was done. I replaced whole trees with links to other
nodes, all to no avail. I eventually tracked the error down to
emanating from netboot (by searching through the binary), but got no
further. I was so bemused by this stage I though it would be a good
idea to finally put 10.2 on the node. Then someone who had just added
a 4000 sr9.7.1 node to our network, which wasn't yet catalogued wanted
it to print via our nodes. I happened to catalogue it on the same node
I couldn't boot diskless off and HEY PRESTO! As if by magic, the
diskless 4000 started booting, and has been ok since.

Can anyone out there explain this? If I hadn't had to spend most of my
time fixing acls set by choosing 'closed' this wouldn't have confused
me and I wouldn't have wasted my time :-<)

bob

bob nutter, computer officer |
dept. of computation, UMIST  |  "John was a little crippled midget
manchester m60 1qd UK        |   lesbian boy, but he stood ten foot
tel:+44 61 200 3386          |   tall with a KNIFE!"
email:ran@cns.umist.ac.uk    |		-Butthole Surfers

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.092223.24369@cns.umist.ac.uk>, ran@cns.umist.ac.uk
(Bob Nutter) writes:
> I've just spent a day and a half trying to get one of our 4000's to
> boot off a 3000 (as usual). Every time I got the same error:
>
> 	(blah, blah, blah, bytes loaded...)
> 	81270001 Boot error: can't get UID

One thing that sometimes helps in these cases is to run netman in such a way
that you can read its error messages.  Kill it and just run it
(/sys/net/netman) in a window, for example.

kdavis@bert.HYWLMSD.WA.COM (Karen Davis) (06/14/90)

I had this problem booting a DN2500 diskless
from a DN3000.  I fixed the link /sys/net/netman.rc
to link to netman.com_sh and the problem went away.

Directory "/sys/net":

sys   type      current
type  uid        length   name

file  unstruct       514  diskless_list
file  nil           9140  netboot
file  coff         20660  netman
file  rec           5088  netman.bin_sh
file  rec           4398  netman.com_sh
file  unstruct       508  sample_diskless_list

link            netmain_srvr          "//daune/etc/netmain_srvr"
link            netman.rc             "netman.com_sh"

Karen Davis
Honeywell MSD
(206) 345-3439

betsym@apollo.HP.COM (Elizabeth Minahan) (06/27/90)

kdavis@bert.UUCP (Karen Davis) writes:

> I had this problem booting a DN2500 diskless
> from a DN3000.  I fixed the link /sys/net/netman.rc
> to link to netman.com_sh and the problem went away.

This error usually occurs when the guaranteed sys5.3
environment is not resident on the node you're booting
off.  /sys/net/netman.bin_sh uses certain commands
from the /sys5.3/bin directory.  If this isn't there
it will never complete the 'node_data setup, and you
will get this error.

Every node that the os is installed on, including those
where sys5.3 was not chosen as an available environment,
should have a minimal set of sys5.3 commands to support
installation scripts.

Betsy Minahan
Networking Support/Chelmsford Response Center