[comp.sys.apollo] security

Jacques_Gelinas@CMR001.BITNET (06/29/90)

In a recent posting, i wrote, at the end of my msg:

> (By the way, if you trust the standard Unix password encryption
>  and have not heard of the Cryptbreaker workbench, you are just
>  like this RMC ADP director, hiding your head in the sand (:-))

This was intended as a joke, but my lack of mastery of the english
(hum american) language and an error got in the way.

1. When our local expert on encryption heard of this set of tools,
   he said "We should not put that into everybody's hands" and
   my answer was "Everybody but you has it already".

2. I do not know enough about cbw (obviously, see below) to cause
   you to be alarmed by my remarks.
   What follows is, however, from the author of cbw

-----------------------
     The  Crypt Breakers' Workbench (CBW) is an interactive multi-window system
for mounting a cipher-text only attack on a file encrypted by  the  Unix  crypt
command.    CBW  is  a workbench in the sense that it provides the user with an
integrated set of tools that simplify the initial, middle and final portions of
the  decryption process.  A user interacts with the workbench by choosing tools
and setting parameters.  CBW carries out the work and displays the results.   A
moderately  experienced  user  of  CBW  can  easily decrypt both long and short
messages when bigram statistics are known for the message  space.    The  basic
cryptanalytic  techniques  used  by  CBW  are described in a paper by Reeds and
Weinberger that appeared in the October 1984 issue of the ATT Bell Laboratories
Technical  Journal.    This  manual  explains  the  capabilities  and operating
procedures of CBW.

     One goal of releasing CBW is to discourage  people  from  using  the  Unix
crypt  command  for  sensitive  information.   Crypt was never intended to be a
highly secure cipher.  It's primary advantage has been its speed, which made it
suitable  for  integration  into a wide range of application programs.  The CBW
program simply points out how easy the cipher  is  to  break  using  the  ideas
described  by  Reeds  and  Weinberger in the October 1984 issue of the ATT Bell
Labs Technical Journal.  As those authors suggested, if you must use crypt, you
should run compress on the file before encrypting it.
        This directory contains the source, documentation, and
auxilary files for the Crypt Breakers Workbench (cbw).  CBW is
a multi-window integrated workbench of tools that help a cryptanalist
read files encrypted with the BSD4.2 crypt command.  Anyone
may copy, modify, use, or redistribute this system.  It was
originally written by Robert W. Baldwin at MIT.
----------------------------

3. Finally, this msg corrects my obvious error.
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 07:57:26 -0700
> From: Larry Setlow <pjt@cpac.washington.edu>
>
> The password encryption has nothing to do with the Crypt Breaker's
> Workbench that I know about; cbw is for the crypt(1) command, which
> uses a single-rotor Enigma-like machine.  The passwords are used as
> keys to repeatedly encrypt a constant string using a modified DES.  If
> anybody knows a better way than a brute-force dictionary search to
> "decrypt" UNIX passwords, they're not telling.

4. I feel somewhat reassured that many knowledgeable users of
   Apollos are so much concerned with security.