[comp.sys.apollo] Loss of performance with sr10

roger@GW1.AGS.BNL.GOV (Roger A. Katz) (07/03/90)

  rabbe%infolog%sunic%uupsi%rpi%leah.uucp@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu  (Rabbe Fogelholm) writes:
> HP/Apollo in Sweden has recommended that DN3000 nodes with 4
>Mbyte of memory should be upgraded to 8 Mbyte.

and

>We also have a few DN300 and DSP80 nodes with just 2 Mbyte, ...
things like wbak and rnews. How will they perform under SR10 if we
insist on using them with 2 Mbyte?

IMHO a dn3000, or dn3010 with 4MB is the minimum.  It will work, but
not fast. (subjective to the user).  We have a number of nodes with that
configuration for programmer development work.  More memory is better, but
four will work.
I have 1 dn300 with 2.5MB running diskless at 10.2.  You must run 10.2 to
get any of the dn300 dsp80/90 series machines to run. There were bugs in
the 10.0/10.1 sau directory for these type machines. 2mb is the minimum
configuration for a disked node to of this type to boot up and run 10.2.
I have a dsp80 with 1.5 MB booted diskless running 10.2.
I hope this has been helpful. Please reply so that I know that my
mail is working.

Disclaimer: I am not a spokesman for BNL. Although I attempt to be as
            accurate as humanly possible, nothing in my notes should be
            taken as an official statement by BNL. I am not a substitute
            for customer service.

Email: roger@gw1.ags.bnl.gov                Roger A. Katz
                                            AGS Software Controls Group
                                            Brookhaven National Laboratory