[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo and readnews software

dma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (David Aharoni) (07/04/90)

I am attempting to setup Larry Wall's read news program (rn)
on our network and have some questions for those of you who have
successfully managed to install the program.

First, we are running with Apollo 3000, 3500 and 4000's
OS 10.2 under System V.

I managed to compile the rn software with only minimal changes, however
this software was written to work with BSD , we are also using Apollo's
bmail which seems to be incompatable with everything.  After many hours
of trying to make it work I gave up and tried compiling rrn. This time
I was missing two files that were not included in the tar file.
server.h and clientlib.c.

Is there an Apollo version of the readnews software around?  I spoke
to an Apollo representative who claims that Apollo does not have such
a product, infact he was not aware that such a product existed.  I find
that hard to believe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

David Aharoni                                         Universtiy of Florida

Internet: dma@beach.cis.ufl.edu
UUCP : {gatech|mailrus}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!dma

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (07/05/90)

dma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (David Aharoni) writes:

>I am attempting to setup Larry Wall's read news program (rn)
>on our network and have some questions for those of you who have
>successfully managed to install the program.

>First, we are running with Apollo 3000, 3500 and 4000's
>OS 10.2 under System V.

We have running rn, rrn, vn, nn, nntp, news2.11 etc. etc. etc. all quite ok :-)

However, we use BSD/SysV machines _because_ a lot (if not, most) of the
PD software out there has a BSD lineage.

>of trying to make it work I gave up and tried compiling rrn. This time
>I was missing two files that were not included in the tar file.
>server.h and clientlib.c.

These last two files come with the nntp (last revision 1.5.8 I think)
distribution.

>Is there an Apollo version of the readnews software around?  I spoke
>to an Apollo representative who claims that Apollo does not have such
>a product, infact he was not aware that such a product existed.  I find
>that hard to believe.

Not really. Yes there are some goodies in /usr/new, ie. patch, mh etc, but
these are nowhere near the latest releases to be found at your local
archive site. It would be best to get the sources from such a place, carefully
read the doco and watch for any snippets of info in newsgroups such as
news.software.b, news.software.nn and news.software.nntp.

			ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group