[comp.sys.apollo] vt100 broken after patches

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (07/09/90)

I recently upgraded some 3500s to SR 10.2.  All went fine, and
everything worked including vt100.  I then installed the following
patches for 10.2:

patch_m0101.v.1.0
patch_m0107.v.1.0
patch_m0108.v.1.0
patch_m0111.v.1.0
patch_m0114.v.1.0
patch_m0116.v.1.0
patch_m0118.v.1.0
patch_m0119.v.1.0
patch_m0121.v.1.0
patch_m0124.v.1.0
patch_m0126.v.1.0
patch_m0129.v.1.0
patch_m0130.v.1.0
patch_m0131.v.1.0
patch_m0136.v.1.0
patch_m0137.v.1.0
patch_m0139.v.1.0
patch_m0140.v.1.0
patch_m0141.v.1.0
patch_m0142.v.1.0
patch_m0145.v.1.0
patch_m0147.v.1.0
patch_m0152.v.1.0
patch_m0153.v.1.0
patch_m0154.v.1.0
patch_m0156.v.1.0
patch_m0157.v.1.0
patch_m0158.v.1.0

Any ideas why this would break vt100?

The patch tape mentions patches prior to the first of the year
on a different patch tape.  Can someone please mail or post the
index of that tape?

Thanks...

   - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu
     University of Michigan - Flint

zeleznik@cs.utah.edu (Mike Zeleznik) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.162841.26541@caen.engin.umich.edu> jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:
>... I then installed the following patches for 10.2:
>
> [list of 30 or so patches...]
>
>... Any ideas why this would break vt100?

My feeling about patches is to only install what you ABSOLUTELY NEED, else
you are asking for trouble.  (If I'm off base on this one, please let me
know).  If you really needed all those patches, then I guess you had no
choice.

After all, each patch fixes a particular problem, but can not have been
tested well within the entire system.  In order to be so, it would have to
wait til the next release and all its beta testing.  Thus, while it may fix
one problem, it may well cause another; and certainly the interaction of
LOTS of these relatively untested things only increases the odds of more
problems which could really seem unrelated to the patches.

Just my opinions...
Mike

  Michael Zeleznik              Computer Science Dept.
                                University of Utah
  zeleznik@cs.utah.edu          Salt Lake City, UT  84112
                                (801) 581-5617

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.162841.26541@caen.engin.umich.edu> jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:
>I recently upgraded some 3500s to SR 10.2.  All went fine, and
>everything worked including vt100.  I then installed the following
>patches for 10.2:
>
> patches ... patches ... patches
>patch_m0142.v.1.0
> ... more patches ...
>
>Any ideas why this would break vt100?

In case you haven't figured it out by now your problem is patch 142.  I had
loaded this myself and also broke vt100.  When I called the hotline the guy
said "Don't even load that patch.  I don't know why it was even on the patch
tape.  It doesn't work."  Your solution it to copy the old version of
/sys/vtserver from another node or from your authorized area.  The following
is the timestamp of the proper file:

3 %  ts /sys/vtserver
Ver Name              Time Stamp                     File Name
c 1 vte_server        1989/07/06 13:16:04 CDT (Thu)  /sys/vtserver

We have been saying on the net here for a while that we should be provided
with a list of patches so that we can decide if we need to load them to solve
our problems.  I still agree with that idea.  However here is an argument
against indiscriminately (sp?) loading patches without first talking to the
hotline about the problem.  I think this is one reason why Apollo doesn't
provide tapes automatically.  They don't want us to shoot ourselves in the foot.
Just a thought.  I'm an optimist.  I like to think that Apollo means well.
Bryan Province     Glenayre Corp.           quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                   Quincy,  IL              tiamat!quintro!bep@uunet
           "Surf Kansas, There's no place like home, Dude."

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/10/90)

Good God man! The patch tape release notes explicitly tell you *not*
to install patches unless you absolutely need them! This (obvious)
reason is that the individual patches have rarely had sufficient testing
in a complete OS environment on all hardware models. Start with a clean
OS release and install *only* the patches you *absolutely* need.

We've been a beta-test site for new OS releases for years now. A large
chunk of SR10.3 will be all of the patches for SR10.2 integrated into
a complete OS release. I can't tell you how *bad* the initial beta-test
releases tend to be, I don't have the room here. Let it suffice to say
that some models of hardware are usually completely unusable with the
first, second, or even the third beta release in the test sequence. Every
single patch has got to be tested on sau2 (DN3xx), sau3 (DSP80/90), sau4
(DN460/660), sau5 (DN5xx), sau6 (DN5xx-Turbo), sau7 (DN3500/4000/4500),
sau8 (DN3000/3010), sau9 (DN2500), and sau10 (DN10000) machines AND IN
ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS ! (IE. diskless DN330 booted from DN560 is
different from diskless DN320 booted from DN3000).

This bring me to my final plea ... if you have particular problems with
the OS, volunteer to be a beta-test site. It's a *painful* process. Sometimes
the initial releases are so bad that my user's will stay away from the
machines with the beta-software on them, and I wind up having to spend
a couple of days running quick tests on whatever I can think of before
I remove the beta-release, re-install the old OS, and call in the problems ...
but the only way the bugs will be fixed is if YOU find the bugs that affect
YOUR usage of the system and call them in BEFORE the *&&^%! thing is
released to the public. Thhis
This is particularly true of older systems ... The R&D people have the
latest and greatest hardware, not the older stuff, and they don't (and
won't) find the errors on the systems that they don't use. Take note
that "older stuff" means any DN560/570/580/590 (including 32MB Turbo
systems), any DN3000, any DSP80/90, any DN3xx -- practically anything
except DN3500/4500 and maybe DN2500 (the R&D people tend to get machines
with larger internal disks that the DN2500 holds). If you want the OS
tested with YOUR hardware, YOU have to do it 'cause R&D does not have
your hardware in house anymore.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu