[comp.sys.apollo] Using SCSI is kind of fuzzy

lawrence@chinet.chi.il.us ("Lawrence B. Kreighbaum Jr.") (07/12/90)

Very good article.  Are you saying that the big disk (697M I believe) is ESDI
rather than SCSI?  I have a DN3500 and DN4500 with the WD controller and the
big disk.  I believe that the mnemonic debugger level config command refers to
the drive as SCSI. I was also led to believe the same by Apollo sales.  Is it
really ESDI?
You mentioned an Apollo mailing list at this address.  If this is a mailing
list discussing Apollo related topics, I'd like to participate!

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/12/90)

Send mail to apollo-request@umix.cc.umich.edu to make additions/deletions
to the mailing list itself.

The WD7000 controller is a multifunction controller. If you take a good look
at it, you'll see an external SCSI connector, an internal SCSI connector, a
floppy disk connector, a Winchester disk control connector, and two Winchester
disk data connectors. My internal 697MB disks are connected to the disk-control
and to the disk-data connectors. If they were SCSI disks, they would be connected
(ie. daisy chained) to the internal SCSI connector along with the internal ctape
units. I just opened up the DN3500 and checked the disks. They are Maxtor
XT-8760-E disks. It's my impression that these are ESDI drives. Running
/systest/size_scsi on my system returns the following:

Testing for 0:0
    SCSI controller 0 present
          Attempting to aquire device #0, on controller 0
          Target 0:    Removable    Sequential (tape)     ARCHIVE VIPER 60 21116-007 VP60S-07

Note that this sees the ctape, but no disks, on the SCSI bus of the WD7000.
Check your disk's model number. If it's not a Maxtor XT-8760-E, I'd be
interested in knowing what model you have.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

thompson%pan@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (John Thompson) (07/12/90)

> Very good article.  Are you saying that the big disk (697M I believe) is ESDI
> rather than SCSI?  I have a DN3500 and DN4500 with the WD controller and the
> big disk.  I believe that the mnemonic debugger level config command refers to
> the drive as SCSI. I was also led to believe the same by Apollo sales.  Is it
> really ESDI?
To the best of my knowledge, except for the DN2500 and the new series 400 nodes
all nodes use ESDI disks.  You can certainly _get_ a 697MB SCSI disk (Maxtor
8760S, I believe).  You can probably use it as a mounted volume on your node,
after connecting it to the Western Digital controller (or other SCSI
controllers?).  I don't think that you can boot off it, though.
(comments, Dave Krowitz?)

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)