[comp.sys.apollo] bsd4.3

mark@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Mark Goodwin) (07/11/90)

Please forgive if the following is well known :-
I have a DN3000 and a DN580-T presently running 9.7.

The Apollo ring is gateway'ed via the DN3000 to several
local ethernet subnets of Sun, DEC and Pyramid machines,
all supporting BSD4.3 TCP services. The ring gateway is on an
Ultrix 3.1 dominated subnet.

Whilst the Apollos are running BSD4.3, it's with Aegis which has
a typed file system (surprise!); and NFS doesn't work for anything
but plain files and directories. I suppose our Apollos must be the
only ones left in the world still running 9.7. Woe is me.

Questions.
Does the latest Apollo/HP SR10 BSD4.3 version:

 a) have "standard/compatible" BSD4.3 sockets, file system and kernel,
    (please no standards debates!)
 b) does NFS work transparently for local/remote file systems,
 c) how are accounts administered - still edrgy et al? ACLs?
 d) can BSD4.3 be installed without any Aegis "extras" whatsoever, and
 e) do gcc and X11R4 compile with no more than the usual mucking around?

Does TCP use netsvc on the ring subnet?
What are the transport level configuration options?

Thanks for any info:-
------
Regards, my opinions are my own.
Mark Goodwin.

thompson%pan@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (John Thompson) (07/13/90)

> Whilst the Apollos are running BSD4.3, it's with Aegis which has
> a typed file system (surprise!); and NFS doesn't work for anything
> but plain files and directories. I suppose our Apollos must be the
> only ones left in the world still running 9.7. Woe is me.
You're running bsd4.2 on your sr9.7 nodes, (minor quibble), unless
you ported 4.3 yourself.  If you did, ignore the rest of this, as you
know more about Unix than I ever will.  :-)

> Questions.
> Does the latest Apollo/HP SR10 BSD4.3 version:
>
>  a) have "standard/compatible" BSD4.3 sockets, file system and kernel,
>     (please no standards debates!)
Yes(?)
>  b) does NFS work transparently for local/remote file systems,
We had grief with it, but there's a new version out (2.1, I think).
>  c) how are accounts administered - still edrgy et al? ACLs?
Yes (but not still).  SR9.7 used/uses edacct and edppo (yuck!).
>  d) can BSD4.3 be installed without any Aegis "extras" whatsoever, and
Without the Aegis O/S?  Yes.  Without the "extras" like ACLs?  No.
The Domain system is still there.  Aegis doesn't need to be present.
Instead of having a kernel with Aegis wrapped around it, and Unix
on top of that, you now have a kernel with (up to) 3 O/S's resting
on it.
>  e) do gcc and X11R4 compile with no more than the usual mucking around?
BeatsMe, but from comments on the net, I'd say no.

> Does TCP use netsvc on the ring subnet?
No.  Even if you have the DDS (Domain Distributed System) stuff disabled
with netsvc, TCP services continue.  (This is a handy bug/feature, in
my opinion.  On the other hand, I'm one of ~ 3 people who use TCP within
the Apollo ring.)

> What are the transport level configuration options?
Again, BeatsMe.

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (07/14/90)

In article <9007131550.AA25981@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>,
thompson%pan@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (John Thompson) writes:

  >  e) do gcc and X11R4 compile with no more than the usual mucking around?
  BeatsMe, but from comments on the net, I'd say no.

I've got both these running here, and didn't have to do anything special
other than add "-A cpu,3000" to the CFLAGS (I wish Apollo would make this
the default).  Note that if you want to share your display between X and the
dm, you have to run the share-mode server, which you get for free but is r4
only.  r3 clients work fine with this server but you don't get the new r4
stuff like the shape extensions.