[comp.sys.apollo] Need help with BSD lpr

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (07/12/90)

When I send a print request, I get the following message:

    jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

The jobs sit in the queue; I can see them when I use the lpq -Pps
command (it also says no daemon present).

Our printcap entry for the ps printer is:

    ps|postscript code laserwriter printer:\
        :pc=/com/prf -banner off -pr p -site //kings -trans :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sh:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/ps:if=/usr/lib/lpf:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

Note that I am using the pc= option to send the request onto prf.
All the prmgr and prsvr daemons necessary are running and prf works fine.
There is also a lpd daemon running.

Checking the status with /etc/lpc, I get:

    ps:
            queuing is enabled
            printing is enabled
            1 entry in spool area
            no daemon present

If I try to start ps, I get:

    ps:
            printing enabled
            couldn't start daemon

Whenever, I reboot the machine, all the print requests that were sitting
in the queue are printed.  Also, if the machine gets a *remote* print
request from another machine, usually all the waiting requests are
printed as well as the remote request.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this so lpr works?  I'm really puzzled.

Yan.

   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   -Sheenaphile-          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
 /\    God/Goddess/All that is -- the source of love, light and inspiration!

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (07/14/90)

In article <26955@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>When I send a print request, I get the following message:
>
>    jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
>The jobs sit in the queue; I can see them when I use the lpq -Pps
>command (it also says no daemon present).

I called this in as a bug a while back (I'm assuming that
you're running SR10.1). The answer was that there is a bug
in the 10.1 version of lpr/lpd that prevented a daemon from
being started if you tried to queue a print job from a node
that was not running lpd already. It is supposed to be fixed
in 10.2, but the workaround given was to run lpd on every
node in the network.

Dave
--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail