[comp.sys.apollo] d

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (07/19/90)

In article <4ba5d449.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> pcc@APOLLO.COM writes:
>In article <613@tron.UUCP>, kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes:
>|>
>|> I'm trying to set up lpr/lpd on our apollo nodes and have a few
>|> questions that I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with.
>|>

>Let's see if I can get you on your way.  The general rules of running lpd at
>sr10.1:
>
>    1) every node has it's own local spooling directory
>    2) every node runs lpd
>    3) you need tcp/ip configured properly for all the nodes in question.
>    4) everybody needs "right" /etc/printcap's.

Thanks for all the details! This clarifies things very
nicely. I'll add a couple other items...

>From here, the conditions become a bit more complex.  I won't begin to describe
>how to setup tcp/ip.  Let's just say that it must be done first.  On your sr9.7
>nodes, make sure that you're running version 3.1 of tcp/ip.  **NOTE** For lpd
>to work properly, every host that will run lpd must be "equivalenced".  If this
>isn't done, lpd's won't talk to each other.

It appears that the sr10.1 version of lpd understands
/etc/hosts.lpd. This can be used to equivalence hosts
instead of using the more permissive /etc/hosts.equiv file.
I'm not sure if the sr9.5 domain/ix will support this file
however.

>Because all the printing is really done by prf, there are two ways of setting
>up printcap.  One technique allows you to use the same printcap file on
>every node (probably the easier way).  Using the other technique is a bit
>more flexible, is JLRU (Just Like Real Unix) but is a royal pain: every host
>uses its own printcap.

I think that using /com/prf is the way to go for any local
apollo printers. After all the only print filter supported by
apollo is /usr/lib/lpf, which doesn't support postscript
printers, or versatecs which is what we want to use.

[ details about sr10.1 printcap deleted ]

>** SR10.2:
>The world has been made easier at SR10.2.  Just link all the /usr/spool/lpd's
>to one node, create /usr/spool/lpd/servername, which contains the name of the
>ONE node running lpd -- ** NO LEADING // ** -- make sure that lpd runs on
>that one node, and you're all set.  Doing this places restrictions on using
>multiple LPD's (how you can have multiple LPD's, if necessary), but I won't
>go into that here  (especially since I stopped supporting lpd about 6 months
>ago).

Of course if you have mixed sr10.1 and sr10.2 nodes you have
to resort to the individual printcap files and spooling
directories to get around the lpr/lpd that's broken at
sr10.1 :-(.

>That should get you going.  I hope I've not made any big typos/mistakes.

I'm off and running! :-)
Thanks again,
Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail