[comp.sys.apollo] Mathematica/iWrite/WingZ for educational sites

jimr@maths.su.oz.au (Jim Richardson) (07/05/90)

Last year HP/Apollo announced that all m68k-based workstation purchases by
educational institutions from 17 October 1989 would include free licences for

	* Mathematica
	* WingZ spreadsheet
	* Island Graphics' iWrite, iPaint, iDraw

The announcement indicated that Mathematica was already available at that time
and that the other programs would ship early in 1990.  Customers do have to
pay for media and documentation.

We ordered the media and doc together with several DN2500s in November 1990.
The machines arrived in February.  Our sales rep has kindly lent us a demo
version of Mathematica with a licence limited to one node and expiring soon,
but he hasn't come up with an official version.  He is also about to let us
have a beta-release version of the Island programs, but has no news about
WingZ.

Has any educational site anywhere managed to obtain their free licences for
this software?  If so, how did you go about getting the passwords required to
run Mathematica (in particular) on more than one node?

Please reply by mail if possible: I'll summarize if I get any answers.  Thanks
in advance for any help.
--
Jim Richardson
Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/06/90)

We had a similar experience regarding Mathematica licenses. We do, however,
now have permanent licenses for all 6 of our DN2500's and DN3500's purchased
after Oct. 1989. Call Daniel Stih at Wolfram Research. He should have a list
of all workstations bought by educational institutions after 10/17/89, and
he will issue you passwords for each workstation he has in the database. If
Daniel is not available, you can try Zoe Penny, also at Wolfram.

If you find that your nodes are not in Wolfram's database, then call the
HP Educational Marketing office in Fort Collins. You want to speak to
Art Sward (303-229-6043) or Phil Farley (303-229-3500) about checking your
node ID's and getting them faxed over to Wolfram Research for entry into
Wolfram's list of valid educational nodes.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

P.S. The phone number at Wolfram Research is 217-398-0700. My apologies in
     advance for any misspelled names.

jimr@maths.su.oz.au (Jim Richardson) (07/12/90)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query.

As Dave Krowitz noted in article <9007061259.AA14551@richter.mit.edu>, Daniel
Stih of Wolfram Research can supply passwords for Mathematica on workstations
bought by educational institutions after 17 October 1989, provided HP has
notified him of the node numbers.  He can be reached on +1 217 398 0700, or
by email to support@wri.com.  Thanks to him we now have passwords for most
of our machines (the others were not in his list of nodeids from HP).

(Unfortunately despite this Mathematica 1.2 (January 5, 1990) does not work
on our DN2500s at SR10.2: it prints a banner but no prompts and seems to ignore
everything you type at it except control-C and control-D.  It does work on our
DN4500 which is still at 10.1.  Anybody else seen this?  I've asked Wolfram to
look into it.  While I'm at it has anyone received a later version of Mathe-
matica for Apollos?  There's supposed to be one coming eventually that will fix
a bug that prevents you running the package under the DM while crp'ed.)

Dave indicated that if HP has not supplied nodeids to Wolfram you should call
Art Sward (+1 303 229 6043) or Phil Farley (+1 303 229 3500) at the HP Educa-
tional Marketing office in Fort Collins.  Such a call means getting up in the
middle of the night for me -- I wonder if they have Internet email addresses.

A few people who replied were interested in WingZ, but apparently it has not
been released (yet?).

Nobody seemed to want the Island Graphics software except us.  But in case
someone out there does, I'll report that I've now received a beta version from
our HP sales rep.  It requires PSK5 to run: that seems to be product support
kit for SR10.2, also available only in beta, which enhances X et al so it can
run HPVUE 1.0 ...  *also* available only as a beta release so far.

I didn't get any installation instructions for Island, but among other things
on the tape is the following:

# ls -l i*
-rwxrwxrwx+  1 root      1799217 Jun  7 20:25 islandinstall
# file i*
islandinstall:	unstruct apollo m68k executable (COFF) not stripped

1.8 MB for an *install tool*?  I've been too scared to run it so far.

The documentation for the Island software says it requires the Motif Window
Manager mwm, which is not bundled with Domain/OS, but comes as part of HPVUE,
and perhaps can also be obtained separately from HP.  I suppose HP will be
supplying all educational customers with a free copy so they can run the
promised free Island software.  But I suppose a lot of things about HP that
end up disappointing me ...
--
Jim Richardson
Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Internet: jimr@maths.su.oz.au  ACSNET: jimr@maths.su.oz  FAX: +61 2 692 4534

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/12/90)

We've found that Mathematica's installation is dependent on the revision
level of the node that the installation is done on. If the node is running
say 10.1, then that particular copy of Mathematica will not execute on
nodes running 10.2 and vice-versa. Apparently, the installation process
is binding in some system library which is dependent on the OS rev. level.

You can simply perform the installation twice, once from a 10.1 machine
and once from a 10.2 machine, and store the copies seperately for each
group of machines.

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul12.023610.1184@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> jimr@maths.su.oz.au (Jim Richardson) writes:

>A few people who replied were interested in WingZ, but apparently it has not
>been released (yet?).

Does anyone have more specific information on WingZ?  Has it been released?
If not, when will it be available?  We were supposed to get it with the new
machine we ordered but it didn't shipped.  What's the situation?

Yan.
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   -Sheenaphile-          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
 /\    God/Goddess/All that is -- the source of love, light and inspiration!

frank@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Randy Frank) (07/25/90)

Note on installing Mathematica on the Apollos:

You must go thru the software build procedure for mathematica for each
o/s release (10.1, 10.2, 10.3) independly and from a node running
that release.  If you build a version under from a 10.1 node it won't
run on a 10.2 (or 10.3) nodes, and vice-versa.

From experience this is probably the cause of it starting up and then
hanging.