[comp.sys.apollo] reason to buy Apollos

leland@wri.UUCP (07/07/90)

Nowdays, there are as many Unix boxes out there as there are cars. I should
know; I work with a reasonable number of them.

The question of "Why would anyone buy an Apollo" is like asking "Why would anyone
buy a Ford?" -- the answer is that people buy whatever they feel most confortable
*using*. They buy the system that has an editor and debugger they are comfortable
with and THAT -- not price, technology, or what have you -- seems to make the
difference.

The fact is, for those who use it the Apollo DM editor is very productive. In fact,
the whole DM system is efficient and fast. Ok, so you don't have glitzy stuff, but the
stuff you really need and use is there, and readily accessible -- fast. It is amazing
that SunView on a Sparc is so sluggish.

In my office, I have a Sun 3/50, an Apollo DN4500, and an SGI. All three get used, each
for whatever tasks they are most appropriate, and all are great for at least some things.

Leland Ray                                                Phone: (217) 398-0700
Systems Administration -- Unix Platforms                  Email: leland@wri.com
WRI                                                       US mail: call and ask

All disclaimers apply.

dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Daniel Freedman) (07/10/90)

In article <9007070357.AA00259@zeus.WRI.com> leland@wri.UUCP writes:

>The question of "Why would anyone buy an Apollo" is like asking "Why would
>anyone buy a Ford?" -- the answer is that people buy whatever they feel most
>confortable *using*. They buy the system that has an editor and debugger they
>are comfortable with and THAT -- not price, technology, or what have you --
>seems to make the difference.

I agree with you entirely, and three years or so ago, there was enough
difference between machines to make level-of-comfort a big part of the
decision as to which machine to buy.  But these days, as I said in my
last posting, anything you can do on an Apollo, you can also do on a
Sun, for less money.  There may be some additional amount of hassle, but
not much.  I think that the important issues today are: price, performance,
and standards.  Suns have taken over from vaxes as the "standard" machine --
the machine (or at least the o/s) by which others are judged for
compatability.  They also perform well, and are cheap.  I wish I could
justify buying Apollos, since I truly believe that the o/s is superior, and
that the hardware is more or less exemplary.  Unfortunately, these issues
are losing in terms of perceived importance to the 3 issues I mentioned
above.

	Dan Freedman

U. of Calgary Computer Science Dept.,                             403 220-7299
2500 University Dr. N.W.,                                 dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Calgary, Alberta, Canada. T2N 1N4

jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.213212.5519@calgary.uucp>, dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
(Daniel Freedman) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> compatability.  They also perform well, and are cheap.  I wish I could
> justify buying Apollos, since I truly believe that the o/s is superior, and
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you talking about Aegis, or the "3-in-1" SR 10?  In what ways is
it superior?

John Baugh
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

jlol@ALTAR.EE.BYU.EDU (Jay Lawlor) (07/10/90)

	In article <9007070357.AA00259@zeus.WRI.com> leland@wri.UUCP writes:

	>The question of "Why would anyone buy an Apollo" is like asking "Why would
	>anyone buy a Ford?" -- the answer is that people buy whatever they feel most
	>confortable *using*. They buy the system that has an editor and debugger they
	>are comfortable with and THAT -- not price, technology, or what have you --
	>seems to make the difference.

	I agree with you entirely, and three years or so ago, there was enough
	difference between machines to make level-of-comfort a big part of the
	decision as to which machine to buy.  But these days, as I said in my
	last posting, anything you can do on an Apollo, you can also do on a
	Sun, for less money.  There may be some additional amount of hassle, but
	not much.

Yes, you can do it cheaper, as well as SLOWER on a Sun.  Have you ever
tried using a decent text editor on a sun (including sun4) color
display?  You might as well wait all day for it to scroll.  On Apollos
and HPs I have used, the display is very fast even for low end machines.

		 I think that the important issues today are: price, performance,
	and standards.

I'll admit, Sun wins on the standards.  Most software ports to the Sun
with almost no grief.  I hate porting things to my HP (but I love the
50 MHz clock :-).

Jay Lawlor                            |
Systems Manager, Supercomputer Center | I think there is a world market for
459 Clyde Building                    | about five computers -- Thomas J.
Brigham Young University              | Watson, CEO, IBM Corporation, 1947
Provo, UT 84602                       |
jlol@ee.byu.edu                       |

Opinions are, of course, my own.  The fact that everyone else shares
them is not my concern.

In article <1990Jul10.133441.8548@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu writes:
>In article <1990Jul9.213212.5519@calgary.uucp>, dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
>(Daniel Freedman) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>> since I truly believe that the o/s is superior, and
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Are you talking about Aegis, or the "3-in-1" SR 10?  In what ways is
>it superior?

1) File system: object oriented (can write your own handlers for interestingly
   structured files).  Nicely networked, automagically allows access to any
   disk on the network, no setting up of daemons required for this.

2) Ability to run both sysv and bsd simultaneously, although there are many
   compromises here.

3) The new (as of SR10) NCS-based registry stuff.

4) ACLS

5) Protected Subsystems

6) The Display Manager (this is not only one of the best things about Apollos,
   it is also one of the worst -- yet another area where Apollo has a
   fantastic foundation providing basic features, but fails to make it
   sufficiently extensible, customizable, or up to date (ie: menus, scrollbars
   backgrounds, and so on) to keep people happy with it.

7) Dynamic swap partition

8) Ability to graphically debug processes running on remote nodes (not that
   it would be impossible to do this on suns, but they dont provide it).

9) Good compilers with good error messages

and so on.

Note however, that although these things are attractive, they don't seem
to make enough of a difference to one's every-day use of the machine to
warrant putting up with the slow performance, high price, and generally
lousy telephone and sales support.  BTW, there has been some comment on
people not being able to get delivery of software that they had already
paid for, let alone the elusive patch tapes.  We (U. of Calgary) have had
so much of this happen that we now refuse to pay for any software orders
from Apollo until the entire order arrives.  Unfortunately, it doesnt seem
to help.  Last November, we ordered a whole bunch of stuff for 10.1.  Well,
10.2 is out, new versions of a lot of the stuff we ordered are out, and we
have only received 2 out of the 10 or so packages we ordered.  We have not
yet (officially) received 10.2!

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.155624.11131@calgary.uucp>, dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Daniel Freedman) writes:
> In article <1990Jul10.133441.8548@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu writes:
> >In article <1990Jul9.213212.5519@calgary.uucp>, dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
> >(Daniel Freedman) writes:
> >[stuff deleted]
> >> since I truly believe that the o/s is superior, and
> >                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Are you talking about Aegis, or the "3-in-1" SR 10?  In what ways is
> >it superior?
> >

> 1) File system: object oriented (can write your own handlers for interestingly
>    structured files).  Nicely networked, automagically allows access to any
>    disk on the network, no setting up of daemons required for this.

This could be quite nice if it worked properly. The //netdirecory is great, maybe
we can push HP/Apollo to get it included in OSF/2. It would be a shame if we
had to use nfs instead. Nfs is great for sharing parts of a file system (like
sharing /bin etc.).
What I really want most of the time is being able to access all files on all hosts
in an intuitive way. And I want to do so without having to mount the remote
filesystems. I quite like the host:: syntax on CAXen running VMS, especially
because it is not only used for file access but for just about any remote action.
The //syntax comes as close to providing a UNIX equivalent that you can get.

> 2) Ability to run both sysv and bsd simultaneously, although there are many
>    compromises here.

Would be nice, if I COULD MAKE AEGIS SHUT UP FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL.

> 3) The new (as of SR10) NCS-based registry stuff.

If it works properly, and would not change with every release, I could learn
to like it. Is probably better than YP. But the problem here is standards.
While YP is vendor independent (well, nearly), registries run only on
Apollos. But maybe that will change with the adoption of NCS as rpc protocol.

> 4) ACLS

You must be kidding! I wish I could just get rid of them and forget this
four letter word! It might be nice if
	1) it worked
	2) did not break working code
The reality is that often may not even access the files owned by *ME*,
because somehow the ACLs got messed up!

> 5) Protected Subsystems

What is this ?????

> 6) The Display Manager (this is not only one of the best things about Apollos,
>    it is also one of the worst -- yet another area where Apollo has a
>    fantastic foundation providing basic features, but fails to make it
>    sufficiently extensible, customizable, or up to date (ie: menus, scrollbars
>    backgrounds, and so on) to keep people happy with it.

Same problem with Apollos as always:
It was nice - 5 years ago. The fact is that they have not kept up with
other vendors. And that it was proprietary - making it impossible
for other companies to use it and thus from becoming a standard. I can
do without the DM. I want a fast - and full - X11R3 implementation whose
color-handling is compatible to that of SUNs, VAXen and DECstations.
Let's face it: Apollo never was a standard setting company nor does
HP seem to want to be one. And nowadays standards are more important
than ever.

> 7) Dynamic swap partition

That is great! I wish HP would push to get it included into OSF/2.
There are just two questions here: will swap partitions on
multiple discs work properly with 10.3 as has been leaked aeons
ago and how does a dynamic swap partition compare to a static one
as far as access times are concerned.

> 8) Ability to graphically debug processes running on remote nodes (not that
>    it would be impossible to do this on suns, but they dont provide it).

If dde only ran under X11R3 as well!!!

> 9) Good compilers with good error messages

We are still running cc6.6 and it is a horror! You find bugs regularly -
ever tried to compile GNU ghostscript? Or some other PD programs?
Terrible compiler crashes are the result. Also, it's not ANSI nor is it K&R
by default! A terrible nuisance, at least it could ignore 'volatile' and
'const' specifiers like Microsoft C does (BUT WITH A WARNING PLEASE!). The
fact that some UNIX options are not supported (like -S) does not make me
too happy either.
Come to think of it - lint will crash on ANSI C.

> and so on.
>
> Note however, that although these things are attractive, they don't seem
> to make enough of a difference to one's every-day use of the machine to
> warrant putting up with the slow performance, high price, and generally
> lousy telephone and sales support.
What it boils down to: they had great ideas 10 years ago, implemented them
lousy and have still not fixed the bugs. They often deny that bugs are bugs,
trying to sell them as features. Also, Apollos are *NOT* an OPEN SYSTEM you
can run easily in a multi-vendor environment.

				bye,
					mike
       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Technical University, Vienna    mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144      e182202@awituw01.bitnet
       /            Fax:   (++43).1.569697
   ___/

burdick@hpspdra.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (07/12/90)

>> 1) File system: object oriented (can write your own handlers for
>>    interestingly structured files).  Nicely networked,
>>    automagically allows access to any disk on the network, no
>>    setting up of daemons required for this.

> This could be quite nice if it worked properly. The //netdirecory is
> great, maybe we can push HP/Apollo to get it included in OSF/2.

AFS (the Andrew File System) has been accepted as the OSF/DCE base for
a distributed file system.  As I understand it, AFS (originally
written by CMU, but now distributed by Transarc) will be re-written to
use NCS, much like Apollo's // file system.  Also like the Apollo
setup, AFS will let you access directories such as /<hostname>/<path>
(ie: /eddie.mit.edu/usr/tmp).

Warning: I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments for
this, so I may be slightly out-of-date.

							-matt
--
Matt Burdick                |   Hewlett-Packard
burdick@hpspd.spd.hp.com    |   Intelligent Networks Operation

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/12/90)

It would be *much* cleaner if AFS did what Domain/OS does ...
namely put the host entry directories in // rather than in /.
This nice feature of Domain/OS makes much more sense for
a closely networked group of machines. If you have any contact
with the people working on OSF's implementation, please pass
this on. I *HATE* having to use NFS where my current machine's
rc.local file is /etc/rc.local, but every other machine's file
is /othermachine/etc/rc.local. (this notation implies that I
might have a machine named "etc" with a top-level file named
"/rc.local").

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/13/90)

Why not move them to "//" which the the logical parent directory
of a "/" directory? I don't like the idea of having my top-level
network directory be a subdirectory (not matter how many levels
deep) of my root directory. It should be the parent of the root
directory. Try typing "cd /; cd .." sometime, it will put you
where you expect to be (in //).

== Dave

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (07/13/90)

In article <9007121442.AA01927@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU
(David Krowitz) writes:
  It would be *much* cleaner if AFS did what Domain/OS does ...
  namely put the host entry directories in // rather than in /.

Actually, you might be surprised at how many programs break because of the
'//' notation.  AFS currently puts all the machine names in /afs.  But each
machine is not an equal member of a large distributed file system.  Instead,
it's much more of a traditional client/server relationship.  I don't
particularly like this aspect of AFS.

I've been running AFS for a couple of months on my Apollo and it's pretty
nice.  It uses large pages (64k) and caches them on a local disk.  Once your
cache is full it's plenty fast.  But it's got some strangeness, like no hard
links, no atime, and acls.  It's also got deviant links, but they're not as
flexible as Apollo's, since the only thing that can be substituted in is the
machine type.

The AFS selected by OSF as part of DCE will be considerably different from
the AFS 3.0 currently in use around the country.

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (07/13/90)

In article <9007121442.AA01927@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
> It would be *much* cleaner if AFS did what Domain/OS does ...
> namely put the host entry directories in // rather than in /.
> This nice feature of Domain/OS makes much more sense for
> a closely networked group of machines. If you have any contact
> with the people working on OSF's implementation, please pass
> this on. [...]

Add my name if you pass it on.
By the way, don't we have any way of influencing the OSF decisions?
After  all, we are supposed to buy these machines, maintain them and work
with them. And I'd rather work on an intuitive operating system!

				bye,
					mike
       ____  ____

In article <1990Jul12.181524.1462@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
> In article <9007121442.AA01927@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU
> (David Krowitz) writes:
>   It would be *much* cleaner if AFS did what Domain/OS does ...
>   namely put the host entry directories in // rather than in /.
>
> Actually, you might be surprised at how many programs break because of the
> '//' notation.  AFS currently puts all the machine names in /afs.  But each
> machine is not an equal member of a large distributed file system.  Instead,
> it's much more of a traditional client/server relationship.  I don't
> particularly like this aspect of AFS.
If it breaks programs, those programs are broken and should be fixed.
This is difficult to do for Apollos alone, but if OSF breaks programs,
they will be changed, not OSF.

The problem is that mounting something in a directory implies that it is
subordinated to this tructure. This is not the case with the network/computer
relationship. Clearly, computers should be subordinated to networks, not
vice versa.

				bye,
					mike
       ____  ____

thompson%pan@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (John Thompson) (07/13/90)

> In article <9007121442.AA01927@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU
> (David Krowitz) writes:
>   It would be *much* cleaner if AFS did what Domain/OS does ...
>   namely put the host entry directories in // rather than in /.
>
> Actually, you might be surprised at how many programs break because of the
> '//' notation.  AFS currently puts all the machine names in /afs.  But each
> machine is not an equal member of a large distributed file system.  Instead,
> it's much more of a traditional client/server relationship.  I don't
> particularly like this aspect of AFS.
This is from Apollo's documentation, so it is not the word of GOD nor POSIX,
but the implication is that POSIX supports (allows for?) the double-slash.

From //node/install/doc/apollo/os.v.10.2__notes --
     1.3.5  POSIX

     We made the following changes to the operating system to be compatible
     with POSIX. They may result in incompatibilities with previous
     releases:

     More than two slashes at the beginning of a pathname will be
     compressed to a single slash. (One or two slashes at the beginning of
     a pathname will not be changed.)

From //node/install/doc/apollo/os.v.10.2__posix --
     2.3*  General Terms.
     pathname.  A _pathname_ beginning with two slashes resolves to the
     network-wide root.  The leafname following the two slashes is defined to
     be the name of a node in the network.

Any POSIX experts out there?  Regardless of standards or anything else, I
personally _love_ the // notation.  No NFS mounts, a consistent naming
convention, and the concept of the entire network as a sort of super-directory
are all appealing to me.

smv@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Valentine) (07/14/90)

Apollo (among others?) lobbied the 1003.1 committee to permit the leading double
slash convention.

From POSIX 1003.1 (the ugly green book):

	2.3 General Terms

	pathname.
	... Multiple successive slashes are considered the same as one slash.
	A pathname that begins with two successive slashes may be
	interpreted in an implementation-defined manner, although more
	than two leading slashes shall be treated as a single slash. ...

In POSIX-ese, 'may' means that the implementation is permitted, but not
required, to treat a leading double slash specially.  This means that in order
to be POSIX 1003.1 compliant, an application program must not assume that two
leading slashes will be collapsed into one, as is traditional in UNIX systems.

This means that to be on the safe side you should start paths with three slashes
when constructing a path from (possibly null) components, to wit:

A shell command such as:

pathname=/$TOPDIR/$MIDDLEDIR/$LEAF

will result in a potentially troublesome path if $(TOPDIR) happens to be null.

To POSIX-proof the script, add a two more slashes:

pathname=///$TOPDIR/$MIDDLEDIR/$LEAF

Note that adding one slash is insufficient because $(TOPDIR) might not be null.
A POSIX 1003.1 compliant OS will always collapse the three slashes into one.

The 'implementation-defined' keyword tells the POSIX-ese literate that, the
implementation's compliance document must specify what the implementation does
if a pathname with two leading slashes is encountered.
//node/install/doc/apollo/os.v.10.2__posix is the compliance doc for sr10.2.
Steve Valentine - smv@apollo.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Company, Apollo Systems Division, Chelmsford, MA
Hermits have no peer pressure. -Steven Wright

paul@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (paul killey) (07/25/90)

	The question of "Why would anyone buy an Apollo" is like asking
"Why would anyone
	buy a Ford?"

That, or "why would anyone buy a betamax?"

dan@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Daniel Freedman) (07/26/90)

In article <4bcb9e82a.0017b5e@caen.engin.umich.edu> paul@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (paul killey) writes:

>	The question of "Why would anyone buy an Apollo" is like asking
>"Why would anyone
>	buy a Ford?"
>
>That, or "why would anyone buy a betamax?"

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  It *used* to  be a case of
real  differences between Apollo's machines and   others,  in terms of
networking options, performance, s/w reliability, o/s features, and so
on.   Now, since the  functionality of o/s's  is essentially the same,
(in other words since the differences no longer affect what you can or
can't do with the machines) its  all a question of performance, price,
and degree  of standardness.  The only  exception  to this is when the
software  that you want  only runs  on company xyz's machine, in which
case your choice is more or less made  for you.  However, ask yourself
where you see companies concentrating their s/w development efforts in
terms of  machines.  Can you think of  anyone who  is saying "Nope, we
are going to ignore Suns,  and develop only on  Apollos."  I can think
of some companies who  are doing the same  thing in reverse.   If your
company has  done    some  in   house  s/w  development   on  Apollos,
particularly if you have used  proprietary stuff  like d3m, gmr, dsee,
and so on, you are stuck.  You either have to buy Apollos, or invest a
whole lot of money porting the stuff to standard tools.

Someone who has 1500 beta tapes would likely buy a betamax machine, to
protect his investment.   Supposedly, beta is  better quality  anyway.
But, people buying  new machines want vhs  despite the  lower quality,
since the selection of  tapes available  is  far  far greater.  Yes, I
like your analogy.