[comp.sys.apollo] ikon92 1.6.p

rogden@uceng.UC.EDU (rob ogden) (08/01/90)

Hello 10K users,

We have an ikon92 parallel interface board for our dn10K.
Sadly, the software we received is for 680x0 machines.

Does anyone have ikon92 1.6.p? I would appreciate being able to
get it soon. Apollo local office and response center seem to
indicate that delivery is several years out.

Please email any responses to:

rogden@uceng.uc.edu

Thanks,

Rob Ogden
rogden@uceng.UC.EDU
Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, ML70
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221   513/556-3549

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/02/90)

I'm confused ... do you mean to say that Apollo sold you an
Ikon-10092 parallel printer interface board, but did not supply
the Centronics I/O device driver software ... and that they do
not have a version available for the DN10000? I find that hard
to believe. It took me 5 days of hard work, but I ported my
GPIO driver for the 10092/10097 from my DN4000 to the DN10000
in under two hours (the other 4 days and 6 hours were spent
finding the OS kernal bug in SR10.2.p and developing a work
around with the help of one of the OS kernal members in
Chelmsford). Do you mean that Apollo actually doesn't have
a device driver, or that they have one but are working at
a snail's pace in delivering your copy?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rogden@uceng.UC.EDU (rob ogden) (08/02/90)

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:

>I'm confused ... do you mean to say that Apollo sold you an
>Ikon-10092 parallel printer interface board, but did not supply
>the Centronics I/O device driver software ... and that they do
>not have a version available for the DN10000? I find that hard

Sorry, to have been vague. I meant to say that Apollo did sell us
an ikon-10092 board and did supply software. Only that the
software is not the prism stuff but instead the motorola stuff.

The local sales said that they could 'arrange' to get the correct
tape but it would take some time. The last time I heard that
it took 6 months to get 10.2.p.  Our need for the parallel I/O
is sooner than Feb 1991.

So, I was hoping that someone on the net could help expedite
matters if they had a dn10000 with ikon 1.6.p software.

My current work around is to use a ms-dos machine on the local
segment that files are transfered through for printing. Should it
take 6 months to get the correct tape, I too may be writing
a device driver.

Thanks,

-Rob