[comp.sys.apollo] RPC on Apollo

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (08/06/90)

In article <9008011411.AA10103@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>They would want to use Sun RPC in order to run the gobs of software which
>uses Sun RPC calls (like, say, PC-NFS, something which Apollo *still* does
>not support to my knowledge). Why is it that Apollo, and now HP, can't seem
>to get it through their heads that customers want, *need*, and *MUST* be able
>to use software packages that don't necessarily come from the vendor who
>provided their hardware? Many times we have NO choice as to the software we

I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out earlier but you can get
SUN's PD RPC code from wherever and compile it on SR10. You need
to make a couple of minimal hacks to get it to compile. I should
say that I've just done it and I'm not sure if it actually runs
properly :)

Aparently you can also BUY? the same code compiled by Apollo.

I'm biased but I'm not sure that code compiled by the user and
not supported by Apollo is going to be any worse than code supplied
and supported by SUN---especially in the case of RPC which would
only be used by fairly competent applications writers.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com