[comp.sys.apollo] PC-NFS on Apollo

maline@einstein.eds.com (Alan Maline) (02/24/90)

Has anyone ever tried to get suns PC-NFS running on a apollo 9.7
machine.  Or does anyone have any experience with ways of integrating
PCs into a apollo environment?

--
Alan Maline                          INTERNET: maline@eds.einstein.com
Electronic Data Systems Corp.        PHONE: (313) 265-7225

johnb@hpubvwa.HP.COM (John Blommers) (03/01/90)

A quick and dirty answer is that PC-NFS from SUN microsysems supplies
the client software, and Apollo does have NFS. I'm not sure if the
machine supports the PCNFSD program, which handles both the user
authentification and printer redirection & spooling, but then
PC-NFS comes with the source code, in C, which you can port yourself
if you want.

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (03/01/90)

we have pc-nfs from ftp software running just dandy on apollos under
sr10.2 but haven't tried it under 9.7 (because we're almost all 10.2).

no par:icular problems at all that I'm aware of.

I might add that the product looks pretty good to us except for the
inability to do native printing from PC packages (WordPerfect, etc.)
unless you print to a file, get out, and then print to a file (which is
generally unacceptable to us).

Has anyone out there gotten native PostScript to go to a network PS
printer via PC-lpr or the like ??? We can get ascii to work no sweat but
the Postscript doesn't seem to want to work.
--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           ARPA:  vince@atc.boeing.com

kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) (08/02/90)

I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
PC-NFSD?

Thanks.

Kent Kuriyama                          Voice (808) 257-1618
Naval Ocean Systems Center             FAX   (808) 257-1685
Hawaii Laboratory                      Box 997, Code 531
kent@nosc.mil                          Kailua, HI   96734

eero@tut (Pajarre Eero) (08/03/90)

In article <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes:

   I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
   support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
   PC-NFSD?

   Thanks.

   Kent Kuriyama                          Voice (808) 257-1618
   Naval Ocean Systems Center             FAX   (808) 257-1685
   Hawaii Laboratory                      Box 997, Code 531
   kent@nosc.mil                          Kailua, HI   96734

At least previously pcnfsd was distributed as C source with pcnfs from
Sun.

Compiling it requires the Sun RPC library, which can be obtained from
some ftp-servers.

Compilation was easy with no "porting" needed.

eero

(this is not an official announcement from our lab)

Eero Pajarre                       eero@tut.fi
tel: +358-31-162189      Tampere University of Technology
fax: +358-31-162913   PO Box 527,  SF-33101 Tampere, FINLAND

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (08/07/90)

In article <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes:
>I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
>support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
>PC-NFSD?

YES, just tested it and it works.
Well, I've got it working under 10.1. Here's the deal.

1. Get the rpc.pcnfsd source from SUN.
2. Get the RPC4.0 source from an info-server (uunet).
3. Compile the RPC stuff (you need to add -Dmc68000 to the
   compilations in order to get things to compile).
4. Install the RPC stuff (be wary, it overwrites the
   Apollo /etc/portmap !).
5. Compile rpc.pcnfsd, adding -Dmc68000 to the makefile.
   You need the RPC stuff installed first to do this.
   You also need the file /usr/include/stream.h which
   is part of SYSV.
   I don't touch SYSV so I pinched the file from a SUN
   and hacked it.
6. Move the resultant binary to /etc/rpc.pcnfsd, ignoring
   the rubbish in the install script provided by SUN.
7. Put back the Apollo portmapper.
8. Touch /etc/daemons/portmap.
9. Add these lines to /etc/rc:

#
# Added by DB, start PCNFS daemon
if [ -f /etc/rpc.pcnfsd -a -f /etc/daemons/rpc.pcnfsd ]; then
   (echo " pcnfsd\c" >/dev/console)
   etc/rpc.pcnfsd  &
fi
#
(of course create the file /etc/daemons/rpc.pcnsfd)

8. Reboot

(Obviously you need to be running inetd, tcpd and such
 but you would be anyway).

Test pcnfsd by trying to authenticate from a PC.
(Type NET PCNFSD <apollo_node_name>     then
      NET NAME <user> *                    )

I've not tested the printing stuff but I've
never really got the BSD printing stuff working
properly on Apollo.

Easy !

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com