[comp.sys.apollo] Sun/Apollo interoperability using X-window and Motif

mdunkle@Teknowledge.COM (Mark Dunkle) (08/01/90)

We are contemplating running X-server services on Apollo's running Mentor
graphics release 7.0 where the client application runs on Sun 3 and 4
machines.  Can anyone who has experience in such an environment share their
war stories with us?   I have the following questions?

Given Apollo's running V9.7, V10.0, V10.1, V10.2 and Apollo DM
based applications (specifically Mentor tools Release 7.0) what
level of X-window based interoperability has been shown to work
where the X client is running on a Sun?

What rev level of X was used?

Which X implementation were involved (MIT or hardware vendor)?

What limitation were discovered?

What problems were discovered / solved?

What question did I forget to ask?

Please post or e-mail to mdunkle@Teknowledge.com

Mark Dunkle		Cimflex Teknowledge
415-424-0500		Palo Alto, CA.

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (08/02/90)

In article <5808@alfred.Teknowledge.COM>, mdunkle@Teknowledge.COM (Mark
Dunkle) writes:
|> We are contemplating running X-server services on Apollo's running Mentor
|> graphics release 7.0 where the client application runs on Sun 3 and 4
|> machines.  Can anyone who has experience in such an environment share their
|> war stories with us?   I have the following questions?
|>
|> Given Apollo's running V9.7, V10.0, V10.1, V10.2 and Apollo DM
|> based applications (specifically Mentor tools Release 7.0) what
|> level of X-window based interoperability has been shown to work
|> where the X client is running on a Sun?

We have successfully run Sun client on Apollo X-servers. Both
environments are running the public release X11R4 stuff - ie. virtually
the same software compiled on different machines. We have had NO trouble
what so ever. Perhaps we were a little innocent, but we did not even
expect any. The Apollo's are DN3000/4000 running 10.1 and the Suns are
3's running 4 something or other (I am more up on the Apollo environment).

|> What rev level of X was used?

X11R4 - we are still on Patch level 2. The Sun system might be higher
now, but it definitely worked on level 2.

|> Which X implementation were involved (MIT or hardware vendor)?

MIT. The copmmercial version of X available for Apollo 10.1 is R2! 10.2
comes with an R3 version, but given the compatability problems between
R4 and R3, I'd try the R4 tools with R3 reverse compatability fixes - we
haven't tried running Mentor on our system, though.

|> What limitation were discovered?
|>
|> What problems were discovered / solved?
|>
|> What question did I forget to ask?

None?

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug2.082012.10398@cns.umist.ac.uk> jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) writes:
>In article <5808@alfred.Teknowledge.COM>, mdunkle@Teknowledge.COM (Mark
>Dunkle) writes:
>|> We are contemplating running X-server services on Apollo's running Mentor
>|> graphics release 7.0 where the client application runs on Sun 3 and 4
>|> machines.  Can anyone who has experience in such an environment share their
>|> war stories with us?   I have the following questions?
>|>
>|> Given Apollo's running V9.7, V10.0, V10.1, V10.2 and Apollo DM
>|> based applications (specifically Mentor tools Release 7.0) what
>|> level of X-window based interoperability has been shown to work
>|> where the X client is running on a Sun?

A word of caution here.  Mentor 7.0 applications are only supported on
SR10.1 (although I've only heard about problems with Boardstation and
SR10.2).  There is also a problem between the SR10.1 X windows and Mentor
applications.  We had a Mentor station running the 10.1 Xapollo server and it
would occasionally lock up the DM.  The cursor would go away and the screen
wouldn't change, although you could still type on the keyboard and cause
things to happen (i.e. <CMD> shut).  The problem seemed to be with the X
version of /lib/gprlib and /sys/dm/dm.  After replacing these files and
taking Xapollo out of the startup things seemed to be fine.  You might
consider running your Mentors at SR10.2 if you want Xwindows and are not
running Boardstation.  We are doing that on one of our workstations here and
Neted and an HP plot server work fine.

BTW, Mentor knows about the SR10.1 Xapollo problem.  You should probably
check with the hot line for more details.  I think they said that it only
affected certain sites.

Bryan Province     Glenayre Corp.           quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                   Quincy,  IL              tiamat!quintro!bep@uunet
           "Surf Kansas, There's no place like home, Dude."