[comp.sys.apollo] PCNFS on Apollos

okay@TAFS.MITRE.ORG ("Okay, S J") (08/02/90)

In <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@humu.nosc.mil (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes

>I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
>support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
>PC-NFSD?

Is this true??---If so, can anyone recommend an NFS Product that will work
between PCs and Apollos?. We were planning to use PC-NFS to allow us to
share volumes and printers between some our PCs and 4500s. This could very
well change now...

Why can't HP just break down and play with others!?!?!?

-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
Shortly after the hold-up, Picasso attempts a police-sketch of the suspects.
Disclaimer:I get *MYSELF* in enough trouble with my opinions,
	   Why inflict them on MITRE?

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (08/03/90)

In article <9008021356.AA05757@mwunix.mitre.org>, okay@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
("Okay, S J") writes:
  In <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@humu.nosc.mil (Kent K.
Kuriyama) writes
  >I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
  >support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
  >PC-NFSD?

  Why can't HP just break down and play with others!?!?!?

They did.  Apollo has NFS (although I've heard the server side doesn't work
too well).  Does PC-NFS use a different protocol from regular NFS?  I
thought all NFS implementations were supposed to play together?  Why don't
the PC-NFS folks just break down and play with the others?

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/03/90)

PC-NFS requires an additional server, PCNFSD, in addition to the
regular NFS servers. I believe it is needed to do user authentication
since the PC's don't really have a Unix-style UID/GID database. (I
set up a PC-NFS daemon once, about 4 years ago, to allow a PC access
to an Alliant FX/1; but I don't remember the details). The PC-NFS daemon
sources are readily available. I believe the ones I was using were
shipped with the PC's ethernet board and NFS installation media. The
problem is that since Apollo's NFS implementation is not a port of
Sun's NFS code (which is what almost everyone else's is), the remote
procedure call (RPC) library is not accessable to user programs on
Apollo workstations. You can compile the code, but you can not link it
to the necessary libraries. PC-NFSD is a small program, the version I
had was maybe 40-60Kb of source code. Apollo could have easily ported
the code provided with the PC-NFS package or have reimplemented the
function with their own NFS implementation. Instead, they have chosen
to ship an incomplete NFS implementations (no RPC library, no NFSD, no
ability to execute or compile objects on remote file systems (fixed
on the 3rd or 4th release), etc.); and when the end-user's ask for
the functions to the implemented, the standard reply has been "Oh, you
don't want to use that, you want to use NCS". NCS is a fine product ...
if you are a software systems engineering building a new package ...
but telling end-users that what they want to do is to completely
rebuild both the client and server sides of a distributed file system
on their own is just plain stupid. Every vendor I have had the occasion
to check either has PC-NFSD included in their NFS release, or has the
ability for the user to compile and install the code theirselves (ie.
the RPC calls are available in the system libraries if NFS is installed)
except Apollo.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

davidb@brac.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug2.230727.17560@terminator.cc.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>In article <9008021356.AA05757@mwunix.mitre.org>, okay@TAFS.MITRE.ORG
>("Okay, S J") writes:
>  In <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@humu.nosc.mil (Kent K.
>Kuriyama) writes
>  >I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
>  >support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
>  >PC-NFSD?

>  Why can't HP just break down and play with others!?!?!?
>
>They did.  Apollo has NFS (although I've heard the server side doesn't work
>too well).  Does PC-NFS use a different protocol from regular NFS?  I
>thought all NFS implementations were supposed to play together?  Why don't
>the PC-NFS folks just break down and play with the others?

OK, to try and clear this one up:

NFS and PCNFS are not the same thing.
To be more specific, there is a PRODUCT, sold
by SUN, called PC-NFS. This gives you the
ability to do remote file access on a UNIX
system from a PC as well as telnet, ftp and
so on. In order to function, this product needs
to perform USER AUTHENTICATION. It does this
by communicating (using RPC) with a server
running on a UNIX box, called ``pcnsfd'' (or
rpc.pcnfsd). As well as doing the authentication,
the pcnfsd server provides remote printing
services.

Apollo support NFS, and therby support all the
functions provided by PC-NFS, EXCEPT user
authentication. This is not usually a problem
since most sites would have at least one
non-apollo machine running yellow pages and
the pcnfsd anyway. We run our network in this
way and provided you keep the password databases
reasonably unified, there are no problems.

The only time you need pcnfsd running on an
Apollo is where you either have no SUNs or
other BSD-type boxes on the network or where
you keep separate UID domains (not a very
good idea).

So, there are two things---PC-NFS which is
a bunch of disks and a manual, and pcnfsd
which is a daemon running on a host and
provides authentication and printing services
to users of PC-NFS.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (08/07/90)

In article <9008021356.AA05757@mwunix.mitre.org> okay@TAFS.MITRE.ORG ("Okay, S J") writes:
>In <9008011858.AA27274@humu.nosc.mil> kent@humu.nosc.mil (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes
>>
>>I have heard that the NFS implementation from HP/Apollo does not
>>support PC-NFS.  If this is true has anyone done the port of
>>PC-NFSD?
>>
>Is this true??---If so, can anyone recommend an NFS Product that will work
>between PCs and Apollos?
>
>-------------
>Stephen Okay
>OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation

We are using DPCI between our PCs and Apollos and it works OK except for some
pty problems every once in a while.

Please no flames about me using an APOLLO product.
Bryan Province     Glenayre Corp.           quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                   Quincy,  IL              tiamat!quintro!bep@uunet
           "Surf Kansas, There's no place like home, Dude."

rmf@media.uucp (Roger Fujii) (08/07/90)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>  Why can't HP just break down and play with others!?!?!?

>They did.  Apollo has NFS (although I've heard the server side doesn't work
>too well).  Does PC-NFS use a different protocol from regular NFS?  I

1) Ha.  Apollo's NFS has caused me *no* end of headaches.  Saying that it
'doesn't work too well' is putting it kindly (BTW, the client side bits
the big one too.....).
2) No.  PC-NFS handles the pc-oid services printing and authentication.

>thought all NFS implementations were supposed to play together?  Why don't

They usually do, unless you have apollo's version....

>the PC-NFS folks just break down and play with the others?

Why do people make criticisms on topics they no *nothing* about?

I suppose that one can take the rpc library in comp.sources.unix and link
in the pcnfsd to it (I would try it here, but I don't have a pcnfs client
(I do have the pcnfsd source though).  I know that SUN's RPC code *does*
compile on the apollos will very little modifications (some include file
editing, if I remember correctly), and it actually *WORKS* (but I remember
that the compiled portmapper didn't work quite right with the apollos
(naturally)).

--
Roger Fujii - Media Cybernetics		Phone: (301)495-3305
Internet: rmf%media@uunet.uu.net 	UUCP: {uunet,hqda-ai}!media!rmf