[comp.sys.apollo] NFS problem with 10.2

kwongj@caldwr.water.ca.gov (James Kwong) (08/04/90)

Hi:

I have a NFS problem on our 10.2 node that maybe someone
can help me with.

We have a mixture of 9.7 and 10.2 nodes on our network.
I recently upgraded our Sun's mount point Apollo to SR10.2
and started experiencing problems with the Apollo
mounts on our Suns.

I'm getting these errors messages on our Suns:
From a 'df' command, I get:

     1.30 ~=>df /apollo
     NFS getattr failed for server tule: RPC: Authentication error
     df: /apollo: I/O error
     Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on

From a 'cd' and 'ls' command, I get:

     1.31 ~ =>cd /apollo
     1.32 /apollo =>ls
     NFS lookup failed for server tule: RPC: Authentication error
     NFS lookup failed for server tule: RPC: Authentication error
     ls: .: I/O error
But then after a while, I can't even 'cd' to the directory.

     1.38 ~=>cd /apollo
     NFS getattr failed for server tule: RPC: Authentication error
     /apollo: I/O error

where 'tule' is the name of our node and '/apollo' is the mount
point.

When this happens, users cannot access the '/apollo' directory from
the Sun.

What's strange is IF I SU AS ROOT on the Sun, I'm able to access the
apollo file system WITHOUT THESE PROBLEMS. It seems to be only when
I'm log in as a regular user, do I get the above error messages.

This happens only on our sr10.2 nodes. If I mount a 9.7 node,
this problem this not occur. We been using NFS on our 9.7 nodes
for several years now without much problem. The UIDs and GIDs are
synced between the Suns and Apollos. Our writable registry is on
the 9.7. We running NFS on all our Apollos.

As anyone else experience this problem and found a cure
for it?

I've called Sun and they said that it is probably not their
problem but an Apollo problem.

Thanks in advance

--
James Kwong  Calif. Dept. of Water Resources, Sacto, CA 95802
DOMAIN kwongj@water.ca.gov     UUCP ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!kwongj

rmf@media.uucp (Roger Fujii) (08/08/90)

kwongj@caldwr.water.ca.gov (James Kwong) writes:

>We have a mixture of 9.7 and 10.2 nodes on our network.
>I recently upgraded our Sun's mount point Apollo to SR10.2
>and started experiencing problems with the Apollo
>mounts on our Suns.

Surprise...

[ symptom deleted]

>When this happens, users cannot access the '/apollo' directory from
>the Sun.

>What's strange is IF I SU AS ROOT on the Sun, I'm able to access the
>apollo file system WITHOUT THESE PROBLEMS. It seems to be only when
>I'm log in as a regular user, do I get the above error messages.
>
>As anyone else experience this problem and found a cure
>for it?

Yes, I have experienced it.  No, I have no clue how to fix it (well, yes I
do, but I don't feel like making a client nfs right now).  It seems
to have something to do with the Apollo's nfsd owner changing from root/user
to a 'person'.

>I've called Sun and they said that it is probably not their
>problem but an Apollo problem.

This is a definite problem with 10.2.  10.1 nfs had a completely different
problem.
--
Roger Fujii - Media Cybernetics		Phone: (301)495-3305
Internet: rmf%media@uunet.uu.net 	UUCP: {uunet,hqda-ai}!media!rmf