[comp.sys.apollo] HP/Apollo 9000 Series : Comments anyone ?

chytil@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (08/01/90)

While our supply with 'factsheets' :-/ and 'friendly sales-representive' seems
sufficient, we feel that we lack opinions of people with more insight/practical
experience with the HP/Apollo 9000 Series.
We've been told at an horse-and-pony-show that applications 'need only minor
adaptions' --- well, if _that_ isn't a flexible formulation !
How will Domain/OS be affected, shall we expect major changes or will a new
/sau-directory do ?

						Georg

(BTW, does the message '/dev/wn0a : no such file or directory' mean some-
thing to you ? --- bsd4.3 lpd under 10.2 )

--
<---------------------shareware(X) :- machine_readable(X)--------------------->
Chytil Georg Systemdamager@Dep. of VLSI (vlsivie) TU Vienna A-1040 Wien Austria

daver@mentor.com (Dave Reynolds @ APD x1335) (08/08/90)

In article <1739@tuvie> chytil@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at writes:
>While our supply with 'factsheets' :-/ and 'friendly sales-representive' seems
>sufficient, we feel that we lack opinions of people with more insight/practical
>experience with the HP/Apollo 9000 Series.
>We've been told at an horse-and-pony-show that applications 'need only minor
>adaptions' --- well, if _that_ isn't a flexible formulation !
>How will Domain/OS be affected, shall we expect major changes or will a new
>/sau-directory do ?

Unless you are using GPIO, or making graphics calls that are concerned
with exactly what display type/controller are in the node, the odds are
very good that your programs will run as is on the 400's. Although they
did add a new SAU directory, they also made some kernel changes in
support of the larger page size (4k vs. 1k) that is used with the new
boxes (thus the impact on programs that use GPIO). Overall, the impact
is about the same as what we saw when transitioning from DN3000 to the
DN4000.
--
Dave Reynolds                                       Advanced Products Division
daver@apd.MENTOR.COM                                Mentor Graphics Corporation