[comp.sys.apollo] Getty parity wrong on login

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (08/08/90)

Has anyone else seen this problem?!?!?!?
We use Procomm 2.4.2 on several PCs both in plant and at home to log into the
Apollo over a serial line.  It appears that when we first get the login
prompt the parity is screwed up.  We have it set to 8 bits, no parity and 1
stop bit.  We get garbled text on the screen for the login prompt at first.
However, after we enter the username the "Password:" prompt comes up OK and
everythings fine after that.  When we log out and the getty is restarted
we're back to garbage for the login prompt again.  We also have some Wyse
terminals emulating a VT100 and they don't have this problem.

Has anyone else seen this?  What's the solution?

No need to respond NCR Wichita.  I know you're having the problem too.

Bryan Province     Glenayre Corp.           quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                   Quincy,  IL              tiamat!quintro!bep@uunet
           "Surf Kansas, There's no place like home, Dude."

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug7.185106.1810@quintro.uucp> bep@quintro.UUCP (Bryan Province) writes:

>Apollo over a serial line.  It appears that when we first get the login
>prompt the parity is screwed up.  We have it set to 8 bits, no parity and 1
>stop bit.  We get garbled text on the screen for the login prompt at first.
>However, after we enter the username the "Password:" prompt comes up OK and

We have the same problem. The problem is that getty always
puts the initial "login" prompt out in 7 bits even partity.
After it execs /bin/login the parity/bpc is that of the port
as defined in the /etc/gettytab, in our case 8 bits no
parity.

I don't know if this has been corrected in 10.2 or 10.3.

Dave

Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail
kerr@tron.bwi.wec.com      from an Internet site
kerr@tron.UUCP             from a smart uucp mailer