[comp.sys.apollo] runtype and systype?

cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu (08/11/90)

What is the difference between the runtype and systype directives when
compiling code on the Apollo?  What should these values be?  What are the
defaults.

In article <6762.26c2e40c@jetson.uh.edu> cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>What is the difference between the runtype and systype directives when
>compiling code on the Apollo?  What should these values be?  What are the
>defaults.

systype determines where your program finds files when it hits a variant
link (like /usr/bin) that has the SYSTYPE variable in it.  Any program that
takes filenames should probably be built with a SYSTYPE of "any" (which tells
it to use whatever the SYSTYPE environment variable is set to at runtime).  The
default is picked up from the SYSTYPE environment variable, although you
can override it by setting the COMPILESYSTYPE variable.

runtype determines which version of a routine the program gets when it
executes a routine whose semantics are different between BSD and SYSV.
You normally wouldn't have to use this (presumably you are programming for
the environment you are coding in).  However if you're current SYSTYPE
environment variable is not the same as what you are coding for, then you
should use it to make sure your program gets the correct version of the
routines.

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.