[comp.sys.apollo] Booting question on an DN10K

bala@synopsys.synopsys.com (Bala Vasireddi) (08/10/90)

We have a DN10k running Sr10.2p off its local disk. We want to add another
local disk to it and load SR10.0.2p on it. Then we would like to be able boot
off the 2nd disk (under Sr10.0.2) OR the 1st disk (under Sr10.2p) on demand.

Thanks to this group, we were able to do similar stuff on a DN4500, by setting
the boot volume using the 'DI w0:1' command. But, is the same thing possible
on a DN10K?

Also, can we buy 3rd party disks for a DN10K?

Thanks.

Bala Vasireddi,            Phone: (415)962-5036
Synopsys, Inc.             FAX:   (415)965-8637
1098 Alta Ave              DDN:   bala@synopsys.com
Mountain View, CA 94043    UUCP:  ..!fernwood.mpk.ca.us!synopsys!bala

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (08/10/90)

> We have a DN10k running Sr10.2p off its local disk. We want to add another
> local disk to it and load SR10.0.2p on it. Then we would like to be able boot
> off the 2nd disk (under Sr10.0.2) OR the 1st disk (under Sr10.2p) on demand.
>
> Thanks to this group, we were able to do similar stuff on a DN4500, by setting
> the boot volume using the 'DI w0:1' command. But, is the same thing possible
> on a DN10K?
I haven't tried it, but I'd assume so.  When INVOLing, SALVOLing, etc, you
can (and need to) specify the disks with the controller:disknumber
combination.  (Actually, it assumes controller 0 if you don't specify one,
but that's a minor quibble.)

> Also, can we buy 3rd party disks for a DN10K?
Yes.  We bought 3 third-party disks.  The Maxtor 8760E disk is used in
the DN10000 as well as the DN35X0/4500 series.  I don't know the number,
but the 348MB disk is also Maxtor (4760E???)  Be aware that there _ARE_
differences in the jumpering of the disk logic board.  The one that
comes to mind is spin-up on power.  (After checking with 'jumper', that
pin (number 6) appears to be the ONLY difference....)  You may also want
to check what HP/Apollo is saying about user-installed parts on the
DN10Ks now.  When we first got ours (late 1988) they didn't want us to
even open the gull-wings, let alone take off a side panel.  For maintenance
purposes, we also needed to pay HP/Apollo to come out and ensure that the
parts were correct.
We have also had some difficulties with disk errors that are reported as :
    8:59:21 pm (CDT)  disk error
      Winchester  Ctrl_# = 0  Unit_# = 1    Phys daddr = 45C3: disk operation \
                  completed successfully after crc correction (OS/disk manager)
      Above disk chains a multiple-disk group - actual error is on:
      Winchester  Ctrl_# = 1  Unit_# = 1    Phys daddr RELATIVE to this drive...
This is the same as someone reported earlier.  We have been told that this
problem MAY be because "HP tests there disks more rigorously, and marginal
ones aren't installed."  Unfortunately, we have gotten a (smaller) number of
the same error from the original Apollo disk that was there.  Our guess is
that the power supply, which has some bricks that were manufactured during
a dubious time period (failures have been attributed to bricks made during
this time) is not giving out enough juice to lay down a reliable format on
the INVOL.  After we get a new supply, we're going to re-format the disks
and monitor the problem.

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

szabo_p@maths.su.oz.au (Paul Szabo) (08/13/90)

In article <573@synopsys.COM>, bala@synopsys.com writes:
>We have a DN10k running Sr10.2p off its local disk. We want to add another
>local disk to it and load SR10.0.2p on it. Then we would like to be able boot
>off the 2nd disk (under Sr10.0.2) OR the 1st disk (under Sr10.2p) on demand.
>
>Thanks to this group, we were able to do similar stuff on a DN4500, by setting
>the boot volume using the 'DI w0:1' command. But, is the same thing possible
>on a DN10K?

I am not sure if 'DI w0:1' would work on the DN10000, probably it would.
But...

The 'ES EE_CONFIG' programs are different between 10.0.p (we never had
10.0.2.p) and 10.2.p. They are different enough, so that you would need
to run this between boots of the 'other' OS, even though the
configuration of your node does not change. This is documented in the
10.1.p release notes (Appendix B).

Also, if you have a 'Floppy/Cartridge tape (SCSI) controller' board
(part no. 12171), this needs to be re-jumpered between 10.0.p and
10.2.p. Yes, this sounds rather odd, but it is true: if you have the
board jumpered for the wrong OS release, you will not be able to boot.

Paul Szabo      szabo_p@maths.su.oz.au