[comp.sys.apollo] HP Apollo 9000 Model 400 have audio?

turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (08/06/90)

I was looking through the spec sheets on the HP Apollo
9000 Model 400's.  In the system specifications section
under "Standard i/o ports" was listed "Audio".

Does "Audio" mean something more than a beep?

Robert

--
Law of the Net:  Trivia begets trivia tenfold.                All opinions are.
Robert Turner (602) 897-5441 ...!uunet!dover!turner or turner@dover.sps.mot.com

daver@mentor.com (Dave Reynolds @ APD x1335) (08/08/90)

In article <2364@dover.sps.mot.com> turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) writes:
>I was looking through the spec sheets on the HP Apollo
>9000 Model 400's.  In the system specifications section
>under "Standard i/o ports" was listed "Audio".

My understanding is that the "audio" port is supported only if
the 400 is running HP-UX, not DOMAIN/OS. I certainly couldn't
find any mention of it in the 10.3 preliminary release notes,
and couldn't discover anyway to access the port on our 400's.

Dave Reynolds           Advanced Products Division
daver@apd.MENTOR.COM    Mentor Graphics Corporation

--
Dave Reynolds, Mentor Graphics, 8500 SW Creekside Pl., Beaverton, OR 97005-7191
(503) 626-1335

daver@MENTOR.COM

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug8.002104.4633@mentor.com>, daver@mentor.com (Dave Reynolds @ APD x1335) writes:

> In article <2364@dover.sps.mot.com> turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) writes:
> My understanding is that the "audio" port is supported only if
> the 400 is running HP-UX, not DOMAIN/OS. I certainly couldn't
> find any mention of it in the 10.3 preliminary release notes,
> and couldn't discover anyway to access the port on our 400's.

Could somebody in possesion of `10.3 preliminary release notes' please post
a summary of new features|bug fixes|changes? Or are they distributed as
`confidential'?
				Thanx in advance,
					mike
       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Technical University, Vienna    mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144      e182202@awituw01.bitnet
       /            Fax:   (++43).1.569697
   ___/

awhitton@bcara132.bnr.ca (Alan Whitton) (08/08/90)

Reynolds @ APD x1335) writes:
> My understanding is that the "audio" port is supported only if
> the 400 is running HP-UX, not DOMAIN/OS. I certainly couldn't
> find any mention of it in the 10.3 preliminary release notes,
> and couldn't discover anyway to access the port on our 400's.
>
> Dave Reynolds           Advanced Products Division
> daver@apd.MENTOR.COM    Mentor Graphics Corporation

Support for the audio port for HP-UX makes sense. On the 300 series
machines there is an "audio port" which you can buy a speaker from
HP for (price?, a large number <$200.00). You can also by a speaker from
any electronics store for about $10.00 which does the same thing.

And you though Apollo was bad for this sort of thing.....

Cheers,
Alan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"
BITNET: awhitton@bnr.ca  OR  UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!forum!awhitton

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/09/90)

SR10.3 is currently finishing up beta-test. Apollo (prior to being
acquired by HP) has been *very* sensitive about people discussing
products that are not yet released. Given the recent emphasis on
legal implications of releasing unsupported, legal implications of
using the network for support info, etc. I would suggest going
through your contacts at the field service office to get a copy
of the release notes. HP/Apollo has publically stated that SR10.3
will be released in the Fall, and that SR10.2 + a PSK or SR10.3
is needed to run the new series 9000 model 400 machines.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (08/10/90)

/comp.sys.apollo/turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner)/10:40am Aug 6,1990/
} I was looking through the spec sheets on the HP Apollo 9000 Model 400's.
} In the system specifications section under "Standard i/o ports" was listed
} "Audio".  Does "Audio" mean something more than a beep?
----------

I believe that would be a TI SN76494, controlled by the same Intel 8042
that oversees the HP-HIL loop.  At least, that's what it is in an HP 9000
Series 300.  I remember seeing some HP-UX programs to play music on this,
but I can't put my hands on one now.			Regards, Steve taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

burdick@hpspdra.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (08/13/90)

> I believe that would be a TI SN76494, controlled by the same Intel
> 8042 that oversees the HP-HIL loop.  At least, that's what it is in an
> HP 9000 Series 300.  I remember seeing some HP-UX programs to play
> music on this, but I can't put my hands on one now.

I have a copy of the 'play' program that works on the s300 under HPUX.
It should work on the s400 under HPUX as well (although I haven't
tried it), but I have no idea how it will work under Domain.  If
anyone is interested in it, I'll send it to them.  If there is enough
interest, I'll make it easier on myself and just post it to this
newsgroup.

							-matt
--
Matt Burdick                |   Hewlett-Packard
burdick@hpspd.spd.hp.com    |   Intelligent Networks Operation