[comp.sys.apollo] DSP90 shutdown?

rkw@OKC-UNIX.AF.MIL (Ron Wallman MMECT) (08/14/90)

    The key is to hold the shut button down for a couple seconds (say 5).

Ronald K Wallman
United States Air Force
Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center
OC-ALC/MMECT (Bldg 3220)
Tinker AFB, OK   73145-5990
(405)-736-5575     DDN Mail Address: rkw@okc-unix.af.mil

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/14/90)

We bought a used DSP90 to replace our DSP80, and of course we
did not get the "using your DSP90 ..." book since the box was
used. I've been able to figure out that on the DSP90 I must
push both the reset buttons at once in order to reset the
node, but I have not been able to get the shutdown button
to work. I press it and nothing happens. When I press both
of the reset buttons, then the light above the shutdown button
comes on briefly before the DSP90 starts its diagnostic
sequence and the salvol of the boot volume. Could someone
run through their DSP90 handbook and tell me if our shutdown
button is broken, or whether I'm just misusing it? (we're
running SR9.7 on a DSP90-3MB with two MSD-500M disks).

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (08/15/90)

In article <9008141319.AA01043@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>node, but I have not been able to get the shutdown button
>to work.
>...Could someone
>run through their DSP90 handbook and tell me if our shutdown
>button is broken, or whether I'm just misusing it? (we're
>running SR9.7 on a DSP90-3MB with two MSD-500M disks).
Ye Gods! that's the second time I've referred to that book in the past
three weeks.  Come to think of it, that's the second time I've
referred to that book ever!
Well, according to Operating the DSP80A/DSP90 (revision 1 November '85)
you just press the button, though I would say that on my 80A (I don't
need no steenking 68020!) you do have to hold the button pressed for
about a second before the thing will shutdown.

Cheers

Colin
--
  Colin Dente                     | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
  Manchester Computing Centre     | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk

dipaola@soleil.UUCP (Len DiPaola) (08/15/90)

In article <9008141319.AA01043@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:

The dsp90 manual states that one should hold down the shutdown switch until the LED above the shutdown switch lights. This indicates shutdown has started.

--
Len DiPaola   Apollo Sysadmin      __    __    __      _      _    __  _
Harris Semiconductor 201-685-6289  ||----||   //\\   || \\  || \\  || //\

kumorek@apollo.HP.COM (James Kumorek) (08/17/90)

In article <1578@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) writes:
|> In article <9008141319.AA01043@richter.mit.edu>
krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
|> >node, but I have not been able to get the shutdown button
|> >to work.
|> >...Could someone
|> >run through their DSP90 handbook and tell me if our shutdown
|> >button is broken, or whether I'm just misusing it? (we're
|> >running SR9.7 on a DSP90-3MB with two MSD-500M disks).
|> Ye Gods! that's the second time I've referred to that book in the past
|> three weeks.  Come to think of it, that's the second time I've
|> referred to that book ever!
|> Well, according to Operating the DSP80A/DSP90 (revision 1 November '85)
|> you just press the button, though I would say that on my 80A (I don't
|> need no steenking 68020!) you do have to hold the button pressed for
|> about a second before the thing will shutdown.

I believe that is exactly it;  you are required to hold the shutdown
button(s) down
for a short while for then to take effect, to avoid un-intended shutdowns.

Jim Kumorek
Apollo Computer, Inc. - A subsidiary of Hewlett Packard
kumorek@apollo.hp.com