[comp.sys.apollo] Configuring X on an Apollo

jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) (08/07/90)

Please bear with some novice questions.  I need some help in setting
up X on our Apollos.  I would like the following:

  - an X environment by default
    (i.e., users walk up to the "Welcome to X Windows" prompt
    and begin working in an X window)
  - the ability to run programs that rely on Apollo's DM
    (like Interleaf 4.0, I believe)

We currently have machines configured in one of two ways:

  - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
      (/etc/xdm) &
    which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf

  - an /etc/daemons/Xapollo file (and no /etc/daemons/xdm file)
    and the /etc/rc command:
      (nice --10 /etc/Xapollo -D1 s+r+ ) &
    which gives us Interleaf, but not X (by default, at least.
    This means users of X software have to explicitly invoke
    xinit and twm.)

It appears that to run both X and DM software we have to use
Xapollo.  If this is indeed the case, is it possible to make
X the default environment instead of DM?

Many thanks,

John Baugh
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU
(John W. Baugh Jr.) writes:
  It appears that to run both X and DM software we have to use
  Xapollo.  If this is indeed the case, is it possible to make
  X the default environment instead of DM?

I'm not sure what you mean by "default environment."  Here's what I do.

I run Xapollo and the DM both, with X owning the root (Xapollo s+r+).  The
DM handles logging in, which shouldn't be too big a burden on your X users.
The dm login startup file (/sys/dm/startup_login*) does not start a shell of
any kind, it just cmdfs user_data/startup_dm*.

DM users can put a 'cp /bin/csh' in their startup_dm file if they want. My
startup_dm contains this line:

    cpo /bsd4.3/bin/csh '.xsession';wdf

You can change the 'csh' to 'sh' if you want.  Then .xsession contains all
the normal stuff like xterm & twm.

You still have to logout the DM way.  Again, I don't think this is a
terribly big burden.  You could even fix this with a strategically places
"xdmc LO", but note that xdmc needs to run in a pad (what a lose).

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) writes:
>   - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
>       (/etc/xdm) &
>     which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf
Does this work OK for your workstation. ``Using the X Window System on
Apollo Workstations'' tells the user not to use this option. On the other hand,
we were told by someone at our local HP/Apollo office that it was OK to use...
It was for some time, but then the screen changed from the X window
backgound to DM, back and forth, every 2 or 3 seconds. Only reboot would help.
I now have dumped xdm in favor of DM + X owninng root. It works fine, but
I still would like to get rid of Dm. (On the other hand, I would still
like to use dde, hope it will run under X soon). Now what is the `official'
word about this?

				bye,
					mike
       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Technical University, Vienna    mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144      e182202@awituw01.bitnet
       /            Fax:   (++43).1.569697
   ___/

lambert@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au (Tim Lambert) (08/08/90)

> You still have to logout the DM way.  Again, I don't think this is a
> terribly big burden.  You could even fix this with a strategically places
> "xdmc LO", but note that xdmc needs to run in a pad (what a lose).

I use this program instead of /usr/apollo/bin/xdmc
-------------cut here---------------------
program xdmc;
{xdmc that works if stdout is not a pad}
{Tim Lambert lambert@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au}
{You can do whatever you want with this program}
%include '/sys/ins/base.ins.pas';
%include '/sys/ins/pad.ins.pas';
%include '/sys/ins/error.ins.pas';
%include '/sys/ins/pgm.ins.pas';
const longest_command=1024;
type name_t = varying[longest_command] of char;
var win:pad_$window_desc_t :=[0,0,1,1]; {where to put the window}
    stream:stream_$id_t;
    status : status_$t;
    an_arg : varying[128]of char;
    dm_cmd : name_t;
    no_of_args,argno : integer;   {no of arguments (counting argument 0) & a counter for going through args}
    arg_pointer : pgm_$argv_ptr;  {pointer to the arguments - not used}

PROCEDURE check(IN messagex : name_t);
BEGIN;
   if status.all <> status_$ok then begin;
           error_$print (status);
           writeln('error occurred while doing',messagex);
	   pgm_$set_severity(pgm_$error);
           pgm_$exit;
       end;
END; {check}

BEGIN;
pgm_$get_args(no_of_args,arg_pointer);
if no_of_args = 1 then begin
   writeln('xdmc: DM command expected');
   pgm_$set_severity(pgm_$error);
   pgm_$exit;
end;{if}

dm_cmd.length := pgm_$get_arg( 1, dm_cmd.body, status, sizeof(dm_cmd.body));
for argno := 2 to no_of_args-1 do begin;  {for each argument}
   an_arg.length := pgm_$get_arg( argno, an_arg.body, status, sizeof(an_arg.body));
   append(dm_cmd,' ',an_arg);
end; {for}

pad_$isa_dm_pad(stream_$stdout,status);
if status.all = status_$ok then begin
   stream := stream_$stdout;
end else begin
   pad_$create_window('',0,pad_$transcript,1,win,stream,status);  check('create_window');
   pad_$set_auto_close(stream,1,true,status);  check('set_auto_close');
   pad_$make_invisible(stream,1,status);  check('make_invisisble');
end; {for}
pad_$dm_cmd(stream,dm_cmd.body,dm_cmd.length,status); check(dm_cmd);
END.

jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) (08/09/90)

In article <1749@tuvie>, mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:
> In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> I write:
> >   - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
> >       (/etc/xdm) &
> >     which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf
> Does this work OK for your workstation.

Yep, as far as I can tell.  But what do I know...Apollos never
cease to surprise me.

John Baugh
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/09/90)

"xdm" was not supposed to be on the SR10.2 release tapes, according
to my sources. It's not supported, and is known to hang nodes. There
are far too many applications that use DM functions (anything with a
PAD_$ call in it), including probably DDE, to completely get rid of
the DM. Run your system using the DM + X owning the root as described
in the X manual.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

jnp@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) (08/09/90)

In article <1749@tuvie> mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:

>>   In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) writes:
>>   >   - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
>>   >       (/etc/xdm) &
>>   >     which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf
>>   Does this work OK for your workstation. ``Using the X Window System on
>>   Apollo Workstations'' tells the user not to use this option. On the other hand,
>>   we were told by someone at our local HP/Apollo office that it was OK to use...
>>   It was for some time, but then the screen changed from the X window
>>   backgound to DM, back and forth, every 2 or 3 seconds. Only reboot would help.
>>   I now have dumped xdm in favor of DM + X owninng root. It works fine, but
>>   I still would like to get rid of Dm. (On the other hand, I would still
>>   like to use dde, hope it will run under X soon). Now what is the `official'
>>   word about this?

This is most certainly not the 'official' word but ... I'm running
DN3500 SR10.1 (waiting for SR10.3; I know the bugs I have now and
that SR10.2 will give some different ones. Maybe SR10.3 will fix most
in both :-) ) and an MIT distribution of X11R4, running xdm out of
/etc/rc. No problems when it comes to interference with DM; apart
from the TCP/IP code dies once in a while. Only reboot cures that one !

--
ORIGIN  '~jnp/stdDisclaimers';
[[--- Regards, J|rgen N|rgaard ('|' is '\o{}' in \LaTeX{})                    |
|         mail: Nokia Telecommunications, PL 33, SF-02601 Espoo Finland   ---]]

valante_g@apollo.HP.COM (Glen E Valante) (08/14/90)

Hello,

In article <1749@tuvie>, mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:
> In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>,
jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) writes:
> >   - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
> >       (/etc/xdm) &
> >     which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf
> Does this work OK for your workstation. ``Using the X Window System on
> Apollo Workstations'' tells the user not to use this option. On the
other hand,

The doc mentions that it is supported under a future product.  That being
HpVue 1.0 -- See local sales for the product.

Under *base* 10.2, you can use xdm, but...... You have to modify /etc/ttys to
turn the dm off. At a later release of the dm, the one released with HpVue/psk5
this does not have to be done.  Under HpVue, the use of xdm is supported.

> we were told by someone at our local HP/Apollo office that it was OK
to use...
> It was for some time, but then the screen changed from the X window
> backgound to DM, back and forth, every 2 or 3 seconds. Only reboot
would help.

Dm was not turned off.

thanks,

--glen

  Glen Valante                     | These are my opinions...
  Apollo / Hewlett-Packard         |
  North American Customer Support  |
________

shores@unx.sas.com (Veronica Shores) (08/19/90)

In article <4c2dce8f.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> valante_g@APOLLO.COM writes:

>Hello,
>
>In article <1749@tuvie>, mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:
>> In article <1990Aug7.142135.19679@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>,
>jwb@cepmax.ncsu.EDU (John W. Baugh Jr.) writes:
>> >   - an /etc/daemons/xdm file and the /etc/rc command:
>> >       (/etc/xdm) &
>> >     which gives us the X environment, but not Interleaf
>> Does this work OK for your workstation. ``Using the X Window System on
>> Apollo Workstations'' tells the user not to use this option. On the
>other hand,
>
>The doc mentions that it is supported under a future product.  That being
>HpVue 1.0 -- See local sales for the product.
>
>Under *base* 10.2, you can use xdm, but...... You have to modify /etc/ttys to
>turn the dm off. At a later release of the dm, the one released with HpVue/psk5
>this does not have to be done.  Under HpVue, the use of xdm is supported.
>
>> we were told by someone at our local HP/Apollo office that it was OK
>to use...
>> It was for some time, but then the screen changed from the X window
>> backgound to DM, back and forth, every 2 or 3 seconds. Only reboot
>would help.
>
>Dm was not turned off.
>
>thanks,
>
>--glen

>  Glen Valante                     | These are my opinions...
>  Apollo / Hewlett-Packard         |
>  North American Customer Support  |
>________

How do you turn DM off???
--

Veronica L. Shores    QA Unix Analyst                (shores@unx.sas.com)
SAS Institute, Inc.   SAS Campus Dr, Cary NC 27513   (919) 677-8000 X6990