[comp.sys.apollo] Power supply problem in 10000s from 1988

maf@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Franzini) (09/03/90)

Has anyone else experienced power-supply problems with their
Apollo 10000 purchased in 1988?  Specifically, I believe the
problem has something to do with the +5V regulator in the
power supply.

If you have experienced this problem or know anything about it,
please send me a brief message letting me know.

Thanks.
--Mike

maf@speech2.cs.cmu.edu

zeleznik@cs.utah.edu (Mike Zeleznik) (09/04/90)

In article <10373@pt.cs.cmu.edu> maf@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Franzini) writes:

>Has anyone else experienced power-supply problems with their
>Apollo 10000 purchased in 1988?  Specifically, I believe the
>problem has something to do with the +5V regulator in the
>power supply.

We had to have it replaced.  It would just randomly cause the node to
crash.  The local FE told me it was a well known problem, I think with a
bad lot of capacitors that will fail early.

Mike

  Michael Zeleznik              Computer Science Dept.
                                University of Utah
  zeleznik@cs.utah.edu          Salt Lake City, UT  84112
                                (801) 581-5617

robinb@bhpmrl.oz.au (Robin Brown) (09/07/90)

zeleznik@cs.utah.edu (Mike Zeleznik) writes:

>In article <10373@pt.cs.cmu.edu> maf@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Franzini) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced power-supply problems with their
>>Apollo 10000 purchased in 1988?  Specifically, I believe the
>>problem has something to do with the +5V regulator in the
>>power supply.

>We had to have it replaced.  It would just randomly cause the node to
>crash.  The local FE told me it was a well known problem, I think with a
>bad lot of capacitors that will fail early.

We've had two distinct types of crashes on our 1988 10K.  The first was
definately a power supply problem - The system would randomly shut itself
down completely ie: all lights out.  Inspection of the tell tail leds
inside the box indicated that the 5v rail was low.  We've had the power
bricks replaced (twice!) and it seems to have fixed the problem.  The
other is also random but differs in that the shutdown is not complete.
The response center do not believe it is related but I'm not so sure.
The system is left at the IP0> prompt and we get error messages like:

Stop CPUs with NMI...
fault on CPU 0 (sometimes 1,2 or 3) pc= ...etc
bus/mmu execute trap: page fault fpc=frozen fa=frozen mmu_csr=0000008A

This has been esculated with the Melbourne response center and I'm sure
they're doing their best, however if anyone has seen these sort of
messages before I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks
Robin
--
     /\/\       Robin Brown (Mr), Computer Scientist
    / / /\      Apollo Sys. Admin. & CAD/CAM/CAE Support