[comp.sys.apollo] Sendmail/IDA compile bug - Apollo

cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu (09/07/90)

I'm trying to get sendmail working on a UUCp and TCP/IP environment.  The net
recommended using Sendmail with the IDA enhancements.  I ftp'd the package and
tried to build sendmail.   I get an error in daemon.c  (illegal 'if' construct)
or something like that when compiling.  Has anyone else seen this?  I am
compiling on an Apollo 4500 with 10.2 with cc and gcc.

Or should I punt and just add the UUCP mailer stuff to the sendmail.cf file?

jimr@metro (Jim Richardson) (09/07/90)

In article <6883.26e69078@jetson.uh.edu>, cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu writes:
> I'm trying to get sendmail working on a UUCp and TCP/IP environment.  The net
> recommended using Sendmail with the IDA enhancements.  I ftp'd the package and
> tried to build sendmail.   I get an error in daemon.c  (illegal 'if' construct)
> or something like that when compiling.  Has anyone else seen this?  I am
> compiling on an Apollo 4500 with 10.2 with cc and gcc.

Could you be more specific? :-)

Which version of the package did you FTP?

What was the exact error message, and what was the source code context which
triggered it?

I have succeeded in getting sendmail 5.61+IDA going here, with sources originally
obtained by FTP from eng.clemson.edu.  I used the Domain/OS C compiler, not gcc.
A few small patches were needed: these are available by anonymous FTP from
maths.su.oz.au (login as username "ftp", and give your email address as password).
The file in question is sendmail.5.61-apo.Z (4208 bytes).

I thought about upgrading to the newer sendmail 5.64+IDA.  But there have been
a number of reports of problems with that version.  It uses flock() for file
locking: this should be an improvement, but may need some thinking about under
Domain/OS.  So I decided to stick with 5.61 for the time being.
--
Jim Richardson
Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia