[comp.sys.apollo] PROBLEMS CONNECTING MAXTOR HARDDISKS ON DN2500

A430@HASARA11.BITNET (Dept. of Mol. Biology, Section of Mol. Cytology) (09/07/90)

In article <2449@polari.UUCP> Michael Lampi responded with:

>It sounds like you might be having general SCSI bus communications problems.
>I'd suggest you check the cable(s) between the DN-2500 and the Maxtor. Make
>sure that they don't exceed 6 meters in length (total), that they are shielded
>(copper braid and/or foil; having both is best), that they are twisted pair,
>and that the connectors are tightly secured.
>
>Another trouble area is with termination. There should be a set of terminator
>resistors at each end of the SCSI bus, and none in between, for a total of
>two sets of terminators. If you have internal disks, then the terminators
>should be on the last disk inside and on your Maxtor disk outside (assuming
>the Maxtor is at the end of the SCSI cable). The terminator on the DN-2500
>cpu board should be removed. However, if you have no internal disks, then
>the terminator should remain on the cpu board and on the Maxtor disk.
>
>As far as SCSI ID's are concerned, don't use ID 7, which is reserved for the
>DN-2500.

First of all I'd like to thank Michael Lampi for his response on my disk
problems but I'm afraid that what he suggests is not the cause of my problems
because I tried different types (and lengths) of cable (30 cm is the length of
the cable I use now -I guess there's not much damage you can do with such a
short cable-) and termination is OK too.
It seems to me that I have to look for a solution in the fact that one scsi is
not the other and that that's causing all the trouble.

Is there anyone who knows about a list of scsi-drives/devices supported by
Apollo that residing somewhere in the directory tree ?
I've heard of it more than once and it seems that default values are used for
devices not listed in this 'device table'.
It would be very usefull if someone could tell me how this DN2500 scsi business
really workes and weather it can be manipulated (and if so 'how ?').

Thanks in advance,     Jeroen Heijmink