[comp.sys.apollo] backups

steven@batserver.cs.uq.oz (Rm 303 Phone 3973) (09/28/89)

At the University of Queensland, we have 7 DN3500 Apollo Workstations (4
of which are disked) running sr10.1 in a bsd environment. We would like
to back these up over the network to a remote host (which happens to be
a Sun) with a 9 track tape drive.

What we are looking for is a backup utility (other than wbak) which will
be able to do full and incremental backups of our disks.

Apollo's OmniBack product does not allow for the tape host to be a
non-Apollo machine and thus is not usefull in this instance.
The 'tar | rsh host dd' system does not handle multiple tapes and requires
a breakdown of the file system. It also does not cope well with incremental
backups since it cannot handle deletions.

Does anyone know of, or use a system for backups (commercial or inhouse)
that would work well in this type of environment.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

__
Steven Widmayer      Asst Systems Programmer    University of Queensland.
steven@batserver.uq.cs.oz

Better to burn out than fade away.

abair@turbinia.oakhill.uucp (Alan Bair) (09/30/89)

I know you said you did not want to use wbak, but take a look at
the -remote(?) option.  With SR10.1, you can run wbak and send
the output to the tape on the Sun.  I have used it and it works,
but I really want it for our DN10000, but its not there yet.

Actually before this option was in place, I grabbed a PD verison
of a set of rmt routines, the code that does remote tape ops,
and made my own little cat to run 'wbak -stdout | rcat ...'.
This worked fine to 1/2" tape.  I need to get it setup to  use
our 8mm, then no more tape swapping, even for full backups.

Hope you can use this.  Actually I would rather use the Unix
dump and restore programs, but Apollo does not support them.

Alan Bair
SPS CAD
Motorola, Inc.
UUCP cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!turbinia!abair

phcalamai@water.waterloo.edu (Paul H. Calamai) (09/10/90)

HELP!!!!  There something that I'm attempting with
backups that I'm still having problems with.  Currently
the backup does not include the registry information
in /sys/registry.  The reason for this is the registry
has to be put into maintenance mode before it can be
copied.  This can only be done by the owner (root).
I tried running the following script

# Putting master registry in maintenance.
/etc/rgy_admin <<!
set -h dds://watch
state -in_maintenance
info
quit
!

using cron with root as the owner of the process.
This resulted in the following:

+ /etc/rgy_admin
set -h dds://watch
state -in_maintenance
info
quit
	Default object: rgy  default host: dds://watch
	State: in service  master  replica list is writable
	State: in service  master  replica list is writable
Unable to go into maintenance state  User not authorized to perform operation (network com
	State: in service  master  replica list is writable

I also made a copy of rgy_admin and modified it's acl's to
use setuid root.  But this gave the same result.  The only
way I've been able to get the registry into maintenance mode
is to su to root, execute rgy_admin, and issue the state -in_maintenance
command but this, of course, won't do.  Does anyone have any idea
what else I might try?

Thanks
.../Paul
phcalamai@watfun.waterloo.edu

marmen@bcara128.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.151351.20186@water.waterloo.edu>, phcalamai@water.waterloo.edu (Paul H. Calamai) writes:

> HELP!!!!  There something that I'm attempting with
> backups that I'm still having problems with.

Try a small c program which executes a SYSTEM call to run the script and
setuid the c program. Apollo does not let you run setuid scripts. Note that
this setup is insecure.

One question: Why do you need to backup the registry? If you have multiple
              servers and the master goes down hard ( and it does ;-) ), then
              you can make another slave a master server. We use this technique
              on five separate Apollo networks.

rob...

| Robert Marmen             marmen@bnr.ca  OR             |
| Bell Northern Research    marmen%bnr.ca@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| (613) 763-8244         My opinions are my own, not BNRs |

zeleznik@cs.utah.edu (Mike Zeleznik) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.124044.11537@bnrgate.bnr.ca> marmen@bcara128.bnr.ca (Rob Marmen 1532773) writes:
>In article <1990Sep10.151351.20186@water.waterloo.edu>, phcalamai@water.waterloo.edu (Paul H. Calamai) writes:
>>
>> [unable to put rgyd into service mode automatically; e.g. from a suid
>>  shell script or program]
>
>Try a small c program which executes a SYSTEM call to run the script and
>setuid the c program.

I believe I tried this, and it does not work either.

The problem, as I remember it, is with the way rgyd insists you be
authenticated (something about password authentication having had to
previously occur for this process for the current effective userid... it's
been a while,  so this could be way off).

To my knowledge (someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, as this would
really simplify my life), there is no way to do this from any suid program,
or even from a program which runs directly at login, unless you log
directly into the node.

Mike

  Michael Zeleznik              Computer Science Dept.
                                University of Utah
  zeleznik@cs.utah.edu          Salt Lake City, UT  84112
                                (801) 581-5617