[comp.sys.apollo] Netpower Workgroup: Future of Domain/OS

jimr@maths.su.oz.au (Jim Richardson) (09/12/90)

I've been following with interest the thread "Is Domain/OS going to
survive? (was Re: How to modify the 'kernel'?)".

There's been plenty of good discussion and thoughtful articles.  One of
the parts I liked best was what Aaron Sherman (asherman@dino.ulowell.edu)
said in <ASHERMAN.90Sep9170611@dino.ulowell.edu>:

>I think that what they should do is just add one more supported
>environment [to Domain/OS]: OSF/1!

This is exactly what Apollo would have done.  Think of it: the only company
in the world to offer OSF/1 and SVR4 simultaneously on the same machine!
Now if we could just get HP to contemplate that ...

Perhaps one of the biggest lessons to be learned from the Open Letter
campaign is this: it's all very well having discussions on the newsgroup,
but *just talking* doesn't achieve anything.  We need some concrete goal,
and a definite plan of action for reaching it.

		    CALL FOR NETPOWER WORKING GROUP

I propose setting up a "WORKGROUP" on the future of Domain/OS.  The
provisional goals of the Workgroup will be:

  (1)	to find out what HP does intend for Domain/OS and OSF/1 in the
	future;

  (2)	to try to establish a consensus on what we users would ourselves
	like to see in the future (or at least coherently to document
	the rival views if consensus is not possible);

  (3)	to put the results of (1) and (2) together into some sort of
	compromise that HP might consider and we might be able to accept;

  (4)	to campaign to persuade HP to consider the compromise proposal (3).

The first job of the Workgroup will be to evaluate the above goals and
improve on them if necessary.

My experiences in the Open Letter campaign lead me to suggest the following
methodology for the Workgroup:

     The  Workgroup  will  consist of an active, participatory mailing
     list.  People on the list will need to devote time and labour  to
     the  job:  finding  out  information,  carrying out surveys, sum-
     marizing the  articles  on  the  newsgroup,  drafting  documents,
     reporting back to the newsgroup, talking to HP, and more.

     Each  person  involved  should be prepared to contribute at least
     two or three hours a week for  the  duration  of  the  Workgroup,
     which would perhaps be around two months.

It's a lot to ask, I know.  But remember this: it's always hard to sacrifice
time to achieving long-term goals at the expense of immediate ones, but it
pays off in the end.  If Domain/OS dies, much of what many of us are doing
now will go with it.

Why do I suggest a Workgroup:

In effect I *was* the workgroup myself for the composition of the Open
Letter; for the signature collection, Jon Ball, Colin Dente and I made
a workgroup of three.  I can tell you from those two experiences that it's
much more effective, enjoyable, and easy on one's health and sanity to
work in a group than alone.  We can accomplish far more together than any
of us will ever do on our own.

Why do I suggest a mailing list instead of comp.sys.apollo:

The newsgroup is great for discussion and for getting one's questions
answered.  But it's not quite focussed enough for the job of working
towards some concrete goal.  A participatory mailing list will provide
a sympathetic work environment for getting things done.  Because the
people on it will have joined with the common goals I've provisionally
outlined above, cooperation will be easy.

So ...

If you are in general agreement with what I've proposed, are willing to
spend at least three hours a week (on average) for two months, and intend
to *write* for the mailing list not just read it, please send me email.

I've been discussing this idea with a few other people already, so if you
do volunteer you won't be alone.  A good size for the Workgroup is perhaps
about a dozen.  If there are more, we can always subdivide into sections
to attack particular topics.

If you are sympathetic but can't make so much of a commitment, you can
help too:  keep posting articles to the newsgroup for the Workgroup to
think about; dig some useful information out of HP and let us all know;
talk to your HP contacts about your concerns for the future of Domain/OS.

By the way, I don't see why the deliberations of the Workgroup need be
secret.  This will be a decision for the group itself to make once it's
constituted, but it might be appropriate to archive the mailing list
messages and make them publicly available.

The Open Letter campaign showed what cooperation on the net can do.
(Anyone seen "UNIX Today!" on the subject yet?)  But we haven't even
scratched the surface in realizing the net's full potential as a way
of achieving people's common goals and hopes.

I look forward to hearing from you.
--
Jim Richardson
Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia