[comp.sys.apollo] /etc/resolv.conf help needed

stan@wet.UUCP (Stan Osborne) (09/06/90)

We just installed our first SR10.2 on a DN 2500 (Ethernet Device).
(This is actually running SR10.2.1.1, the specail DN2500 update.)
This is our only Domain System.  We are considering getting more.

/etc/resolv.conf was created as described in "Configuring and
Managing TCP/IP (008543-A02)" page 3-7,3-8. The name server daemon
is not running on the DN2500.  With "nmconfig -h hostent_ascii"
names in /etc/host work ok.  With "nmconfig -h hostent_bind" names
in /etc/host do not work.  In either case names not in /etc/host
are not resolved.  If the literal IP number is used instead of
a name, things work as expected.  With "nmconfig -h hostent_bind"
enabled, some programs (like telnet) get a "Segmentation" error
when a fullly qualified name is used (e.g. cs.sfsu.edu vs cs).

We have looked all over the documentation and man pages.  There is no
other reference to the correct use of /etc/resolv.conf besides the
above mentioned pages.

We don't need a complete /etc/hosts on any of our other IP machines
(Suns, NeXTs, Macs, PCs, etc.).   We don't want to run named or build
a complete /etc/host on the DN2500.

Is there a way to get this to work?
Is this a known bug?
Is there a patch or work around?
Should we submit an apr?

In a few hours I will contact our local support person.  I don't expect
a response as timely as is likely from the friendly folk reading
comp.sys.apollo.

Please email replies even if you post a followup.
Thanks.

Stan Osborne
stan@cs.sfsu.edu
Computer Science Dept.
San Francisco State University

holtz@cascade.carleton.ca (Neal Holtz) (09/07/90)

In article <1504@wet.UUCP> stan@cs.sfsu.edu (Stan Osborne) writes:
>We just installed our first SR10.2 on a DN 2500 (Ethernet Device).
>/etc/resolv.conf was created as described in "Configuring and
>Managing TCP/IP (008543-A02)" page 3-7,3-8. The name server daemon
>is not running on the DN2500.  With "nmconfig -h hostent_ascii"
>names in /etc/host work ok.  With "nmconfig -h hostent_bind" names
>in /etc/host do not work.  In either case names not in /etc/host
>are not resolved.

It works for me (DN2500 on domain ring, BSD4.3).  In /etc/rc.local I have:

if [ -f /etc/nmconfig ]; then
	/etc/nmconfig -h hostent_bind
fi

And my entire /etc/resolv.conf file looks like:

domain		carleton.ca
nameserver	134.117.1.11
nameserver	134.117.1.34
nameserver	134.117.1.3

Of course, the nameservers listed are at or near Carleton University
(and none are on the Domain ring).

Did you reboot after making the changes?
--
Prof. Neal Holtz,  Dept. of Civil Eng.,  Carleton University,  Ottawa, Canada
Internet: holtz@civeng.carleton.ca   Tel: (613)788-5797    Fax: (613)788-3951

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.142444.4305@ccs.carleton.ca> holtz@cascade.carleton.ca (Neal Holtz) writes:
>It works for me (DN2500 on domain ring, BSD4.3).  In /etc/rc.local I have:
<
<if [ -f /etc/nmconfig ]; then
>	/etc/nmconfig -h hostent_bind
<fi
<
>And my entire /etc/resolv.conf file looks like:
<
< [local domain and name servers deleted]
<
I did the same thing and it works fine also.  We are running SR10.2/BSD4.3
on DN3000s, 4000s, 3500 on Ethernet, a DN4500 on the Apollo ring.  Our name
servers are campus-wide.  I have noticed one problem.  I got an error,
"Network is unreachable" when I tried to ftp/telnet to localhost.  However,
when I moved the /etc/nmconfig-h hostend_bind line further down in the
/etc/rc.local file, say after the route commands, then localhost works fine.
I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience?

Yan.
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   -Sheenaphile-          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
 /\    God/Goddess/All that is -- the source of love, light and inspiration!

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (09/13/90)

In article <29304@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>In article <1990Sep7.142444.4305@ccs.carleton.ca> holtz@cascade.carleton.ca (Neal Holtz) writes:
>>It works for me (DN2500 on domain ring, BSD4.3).  In /etc/rc.local I have:
><
><if [ -f /etc/nmconfig ]; then
>>	/etc/nmconfig -h hostent_bind
><fi
>I have noticed one problem.  I got an error,
>"Network is unreachable" when I tried to ftp/telnet to localhost.  However,
>when I moved the /etc/nmconfig-h hostend_bind line further down in the
>/etc/rc.local file, say after the route commands, then localhost works fine.
>I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience?

You were very lucky the only problem you had was "localhost"
disappearing - on a DN10000 system, the boot will likely hang forever
at the '/etc/hostid' command in /etc/rc.local if you enable
nameservices. The system will probably boot OK until it crashes, then
you will not be able to reboot until going in a Phase II and changing the
/etc/rc.local file back to /etc/hosts address resolution.
As mentioned above, the solution is to move the '/etc/nmconfig' command
after the startup of 'named' (even if you don't run a local named),
and move the '/etc/hostid' command somewhere after that. This should all
be corrected in SR10.3[.p], since we are using a /etc/rc.local file
derived from SR10.3 (supposedly).
This problem kept our DN10K next to useless for 10 days when we first
switched to SR10.2.p, since the only way we could get it to boot was to
disable ALL TCP/IP related daemons/services, but all our logins come
via telnet/rlogin from a terminal server...
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca