[comp.sys.apollo] Purchasing Apollo Software

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (09/13/90)

In article <5918@uceng.UC.EDU> juber@uceng.UC.EDU (james uber) writes:
>Here are some simple tips for others, like me, who are thrust into the
>world of HP/Apollo workstation sales with little guidance or preparation.
>Some of these comments apply only to University purchases.
>
>3. HP/Apollo offers all its compilers (all proprietary software?) to
>Universities at a 90% discount.  I mention this to you because my sales rep
>did not know about it.

Is this also true for non-US sites? We are once again having problems with our
sales rep who only wants to give us a 75% discount :-(.

					bye,
						mike
       ____  ____
      /   / / / /   Michael K. Gschwind             mike@vlsivie.at
     /   / / / /    Technical University, Vienna    mike@vlsivie.uucp
     ---/           Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144      e182202@awituw01.bitnet
       /            Fax:   (++43).1.569697
   ___/

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (09/13/90)

In article <1813@tuvie> mike@tuvie.UUCP (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) writes:
>In article <5918@uceng.UC.EDU> juber@uceng.UC.EDU (james uber) writes:
>>
>>3. HP/Apollo offers all its compilers (all proprietary software?) to
>>Universities at a 90% discount.  I mention this to you because my sales rep
>>did not know about it.
>
>Is this also true for non-US sites? We are once again having problems with our
>sales rep who only wants to give us a 75% discount :-(.

(NOTE: This holds only if it's for educational purposes)

Here in Holland your milage may vary.
On compilers we get 90%, making it almost cheaper to buy new ones
instead of getting a support contract.
Then there's things like DSEE, DPCI, and other Apollo stuff. Depending
on the desire to get this type of software on a University, we get
different amounts of discount (75%,50%,38%).
And buying things like NFS which is really foreign software just gets
the regular discount (38%).

(NOTE2: Don't take me for your local sales rep, I quote from memory.
	And that's very volatile since it collided with some stones yesterdag,
	Doing 35 km/hour, while racing on my bike, I got caught in someone
	else his wheel. So now I'm working from home)

Willem Jan
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands