[comp.sys.apollo] sys admin tools on apollos

leland@dragonfly.wri.COM (09/16/90)

> Date: 14 Sep 90 04:23:09 GMT
> From: uunet!iuvax.cs.indiana.edu!sahayman  (Steve Hayman)
> Subject: Apollo administration (was: How to modify the "kernel'?)
> Sender: uunet!umix.cc.umich.edu!apollo-request
> To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu
>
> If Apollo wants departments with diverse computing environments
> to embrace Domain/OS alongside Ultrix, SunOS and so on, perhaps they
> really ought to make sure that the systems administrator is happy.

I fully agree, however...

> Wait until your sysadmins start grumbling that they can't use the
> BSD "dump" program to backup the machine just like they can on the Suns
> and Ultrix machines.  Wait until they mention that their scripts for

You would think that backups are something easy, but they aren't. You might
think that vendors will ship good backup tools with their OS, but this
is not the case.

dump(8) is a perfect example. Most Unix vendors ship it, so it tends
to be used for backups. Most people are impressed with the speed of
dump, and its relative ease of use.

In some respects, the world of computers has the same attributes as the
rest of the world. You can't get something for nothing. In the opinion
of this sys admin, the utility of a backup program is its ability to restore
files, not the ability to save them. Specifically:

1. dump generates backups that are inconsistent between vendors.
   For example, a dump tape written with rdump from a NeXT to a Sun
   cannot be read under any circumstances.

2. dump tapes seem more error prone than other tape archives. After being
   left out on the shelf for > 6 months, I can only read 1 out of 5 dump tapes.
   why? I run in an environment where machines and tape drives are
   continuously being swapped out. The chance of having the same machine/disk/OS
   revision/tape drive is slight.

I don't believe rbak/wbak is the solution, either, simply because it only
runs on Apollos. It seems better than dump, although certainly much slower.

Standards can, and should, play an important role in this area. To have a
standard backup format -- complete with permissions, modification times,
file types, and so forth would go a long way in helping us run hetrogeneous
networks. OSF, are you listening?

					Leland Ray
					Systems Administrator -- Unix Platforms
					Wolfram Research, Inc.