[comp.sys.apollo] lpr on 9.7 node

martucci@cernapo.cern.ch (Pietro Martucci) (09/17/90)

Hi netters,
I have a problem. I try to print from an Apollo running under SR9.7.
The BSD4.2 print server is on an Apollo runnin 10.2.
I filled in the /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv file with the name of my station.
When I call lpr I get the following message :
cern10: /bsd4.3/usr/lib/lpd: ;<p: Your host does not have line printer access
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon. The /usr/spool/lpd/printer files are correctly set.

If I kill the lpd daemon on the 10.2 station (cern10) and restart it again than my job is printed.

My /etc/printcap and /usr/spooo/lpd/myprinter are linked to the printer server

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           21 Sep 17 12:00 printcap@ -> //cern10/etc/printcap
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           22 Jan 26  1990 /usr/spool/lpd@ -> //cern10/usr/spool/lpd

Is it anything I forgot to do?????????

--
Pietro Paolo Martucci                 | Ohi vita, Ohi vita mia....
CN-CE  , CERN , CH-1211 GENEVA 23     | ...si state u primm'ammore....

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (09/18/90)

In article <martucci.653589997@cernapo> martucci@cernapo.cern.ch (Pietro Martucci) writes:
>I have a problem. I try to print from an Apollo running under SR9.7.
>The BSD4.2 print server is on an Apollo runnin 10.2.

[ can queue jobs but can't start daemon ]

>My /etc/printcap and /usr/spooo/lpd/myprinter are linked to the printer server

This problem exists in 10.1 too. One work-around is to not
link the printcap file and spool directory back to the print
server node. Define the printer in each of the
non-print-server nodes to be a remote printer, and specify
the name of the remote node as the remote machine that the
file should be printed to. You would also have to run lpd on
every node.

Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail