[comp.sys.apollo] xdm/GKS lockups

cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu (09/18/90)

Weird problem we have been seeing.....

We are running an in-house developed Nova GKS product with Domain 10.2 PSK
under mwm.

Under Xapollo we never have a problem...under xdm every once in a while the
system will seem to "hang" ... actually its creeping along since the lights in
front of the 4500 box are blinking.

IN order to "unlock it"...I telnet to the machine from another machine under a
different login .. and in the curse of going to "su" and doing a ps-ef ... it
"unfreeezes"....  Anyone have any ideas?

In article <6933.26f52bd9@jetson.uh.edu> cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>Under Xapollo we never have a problem...under xdm every once in a while the
>system will seem to "hang" ... actually its creeping along since the lights in
>front of the 4500 box are blinking.

I have seen this, but I don't recall the circumstances.  It may however
be related to UDS.  If you are using ":0" as your DISPLAY, don't.
UDS doesn't implement partial writes properly and the system can hang
on a large server write.

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.