[comp.sys.apollo] DN3000 keyboard problems

obrennan@CC3.CC.UMR.EDU (obrennan) (09/20/90)

	Date: 19 Sep 90 17:20:41 GMT
	From: raymond%en.ecn.purdue.edu%noose.ecn.purdue.edu%samsung%usc.uucp@ucsd.edu  (Raymond Kamin)
	Subject: DN3000 keyboard problem
	Sender: apollo-request@umix.cc.umich.edu
	To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu

	I am having trouble with my DN3000 running SR9.5 (soon to be SR10.2
	if I can get the hardware to work).
	The system works fine for about 10 minutes after power-up, then the
	keyboard appears to just begin sending arbitrary data to the machine.
	All user control is lost.  Upon reseting the system, the keyboard
	fails the keyboard self-test, giving error 00340880.  Allowing the
	machine to cool down by shutting it off, we can get another 10
	minutes of use.

	Anyone have any experience with this problem?  Is this merely a
	keyboard problem, or is it more serious?

	Thanks in advance,

	Ray Kamin

We experienced the same problem on a DN3500 and ended up replacing
the CPU board (must have been a bad keyboard connection). Of course,
before replacing the CPU board you ought to try another keyboard. Also,
is the room temperature reasonable. A warm room will cause all kinds of
hardware failures.

We have seen many keyboard failures that resulted in replacement of the
CPU board and have assumed that the CPU board had a short at the keyboard
connection.

Gerry O'Brennan
Programmer/Analyst
Computing Services