[comp.sys.apollo] ghostscript on Apollo OS10.2

michel@es.ele.tue.nl (Michel Berkelaar) (09/21/90)

I recently asked how I could get ghostscript 2.0 to work on our Apollos
running Domain 10.2 with a BSD environment.

This is how I did it:

1. changes in the sources:

-  Robert Kelley <rjk@sequent.com> writes:
>What you want to do exactly is to change the declaration for
>name_ref from:
>
>    int name_ref(byte *ptr. ushort size, ref *pref, int copyflag)
>
>to:
>
>    int name_ref(byte *ptr. uint size, ref *pref, int copyflag)
>
>The files iname.c and name.h need to be changed.

This works. Beats me why both gcc and Apollo cc fail on it. Gcc on our
hp9000/835 and on our Alliant FX/8 do not need this change.

2. Change the makefile:

- Apollo cc under 10.2 understands the ansi declarations in gcc.
  So, prevent the use of ansi2knr on all .c files.

  a) remove the .c.o rule from unix-cc.mak
  b) change the definitions for CCA, CCNA and CCINT as follows (like in
     unix-gcc.mak):

     CCA=$(CC) $(CCFLAGS) -c
     CCNA=$(CCA)
     CCINT=$(CCA)

- to make sure gs can find his fonts after compilation, change GS_LIB_DEFAULT
  to something like:

  GS_LIB_DEFAULT=/usr/local/gs:/usr/local/gs/fonts:/usr/local/gs/hershey:

This should be enough. I compiled with '-O -Acpu,3000 -DBSD4_2' and the Apollo
cc, and got a gs which did not fail on me yet. On a black&white display it's
fast, but on a color display it is much slower.

Michel Berkelaar                   | Email: michel@ele.tue.nl
Eindhoven University of Technology |
Dept. of Electrical Engineering    |
Design Automation Section          |
P.O. Box 513                       | Phone: ... - 31 - 40 - 473345
NL-5600 MB Eindhoven               | Fax:   ... - 31 - 40 - 448375
The Netherlands                    |