[comp.sys.apollo] More questions for the merge of SR9 and SR10.

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (09/28/90)

[This is repost, since I was informed that the previous version did
 not get thru to our central news system. If not so sorry for
 the waste bandwidth]

Remember my questions on the merge of sr9 and sr10 systems?
Well here's another stupid question.

Dependant on the system on which a user logs in, I want
him to have a idea on the type of OS he is running.

Now it has never come to mind a Hpollo that not only
the SYSTYPE was interesting to the user, but there might
be others.

The file /etc/environ sort of suggest that variables
here declared get exported to user-shells.
Just forget it. Not even the variable ENVIRONMENT makes it
to the user.

So I've made a variable OSTYPE=sr{9 or 10} and it is
exported in startup.{19l,1280bw}
This works a little, but only for processes forked by dm

It dit not work for crp and/or telnet.
For crp an addition to /etc/rc worked, but still not
for telnet since login cancels all environment.
(Unless -p is used, but this has two disadvantages:
 1) I've got to modify /etc/telnetd
 2) Everything gets thru!
 )

Question:
	How do I get OSTYPE to the logins via telnet
	in a simple way.

Thanx
	Willem Jan Withagen.

PS: From the 'HUGE ;-{' response on my SR9 <> SR10 questions
    I gather that there not many abnormalities like this
    running the REAL world.
PS2: I got a warning from my support-rep that the going to
    cancel support for OS9.7 in another 2 months.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/02/90)

Yes, Apollo has formally announced that sales of media and documentation
for SR9.7 will end on February 1st, and that software support will end on
May 1st. Get your copies of backup installation tapes and SR9 patch tapes
ordered *NOW*!

All newly created Aegis shells (/com/sh) are *supposed* to read the
startup file ~/user_data/sh/startup.

All newly created Unix C-shells (/bin/csh) are *supposed* to read the
startup file ~/.cshrc

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/02/90)

In article <9010011759.AA02179@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>All newly created Unix C-shells (/bin/csh) are *supposed* to read the
>startup file ~/.cshrc

Make sure you're the owner of this file, or it'll be (silently) ignored.
Confused the heck out of me for a few minutes, first time I encountered it.

--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/03/90)

Yeah, their seem to be a *lot* of files like that in Domain/OS (SR10).

.forward, ~/mbox, .cshrc come to mind immediately. How about other files
that have this feature? If people will contribute their favorites, I'll
make a summarized list that we can all keep handy.

wjw@ebg.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (10/03/90)

In article <4d28fe1d.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>In article <9010011759.AA02179@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>>All newly created Unix C-shells (/bin/csh) are *supposed* to read the
>>startup file ~/.cshrc
>
>Make sure you're the owner of this file, or it'll be (silently) ignored.
>Confused the heck out of me for a few minutes, first time I encountered it.

There's even another feature which worries me:
	scripts on SR9 node have the object-type uasc, whilest
	they have the type unstruct on SR10. Now execution a SR10 script
	from a SR9 node does not work.
	Cannot execute is all you'll get. If the file is converted
	with "cat file1 > file2" on an SR9 node, then it'll run.
	The type i sthen again uasc.

But like I said before: Now many people are running mixed OS-types
since there's are very few questions on this topic.

Willem Jan Withagen