[comp.sys.apollo] What is the proper way of adjusting time for DST and non-DST

Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (09/30/90)

   It's again that time of year. For some reason I have to manually
adjust the time on this Apollo, because Daylight Savings time ended
here in Finland...

   I can do it either by twiddling with TZ (I have now TZ=EET-2) or
use "date" (but, on Apollo adjusting backwards seems to frowned upon).
   When I try it, I get..

# date 9009301843

  ...but, "man date" doesn't seem to know about either of those
options (-a or -f)... don't like to blindly test things while as
root... :-).

  Changing TZ in a common Login script has the drawback, that it
doesn't affect processes already running.. :(

  So, how does one correctly adjust to DST/no-DST twice a year?
(I wish it was automatic, but it doesn't seem to be. I suppose
I don't know enough yet... )
--
Markku Savela                         | savela@tel.vtt.fi
Technical Research Centre of Finland  |

Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (09/30/90)

  Ooops, something filtered the error message out of my article,
("date:.." was too much for some too simple program... :-)

x	#
x	# date 9009301843
x	date: Unable to set time backward, to override use the -a or -f option.
x	#
--
Markku Savela                         | savela@tel.vtt.fi
Technical Research Centre of Finland  |
Telecommunications Laboratory         | Markku.Savela@vtt.fi
Otakaari 7 B, SF-02150 ESPOO, Finland | savela%vtttel@router.funet.fi

Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (10/05/90)

  Five days ago I queried what is the proper way to adjust time
on Apollo sr10.2/bsd4.3 one hour backwards without booting the machine.
Haven't got any replies, I guess it's the "date" command then, but...

In article <5145@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> Markku.Savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) writes:
># date 9009301843
>date: Unable to set time backward, to override use the -a or -f option.
>#
  ...will someone mail me the description what "date -a" or "date -f"
mean, and what's the difference? My online man pages don't seem to know
about those options :-( (cannot find reference to those options from
the manuals (sr10.1) either--where should I look???)