[net.news.group] net.wanted.sources???

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) (12/14/84)

I'm sure I missed the boat on this one.  I'm really backlogged as far
as my news reading is concerned, and I probably missed the discussion
on the creation of this group (unless it was one of the unilaterally
created ones).  HOWEVER!! Shouldn't this group have been named
net.sources.wanted??

I usually try and keep abreast of certain groups (among them -
net.sources) via something of the form...

% vnews -n net.sources

This will get me net.sources, and net.sources.bugs, but NOT
net.wanted.sources.  While reading the backlog of news, I found a large
number of requests in net.wanted.sources .  In about, 5 cases, I had
the sources requested, but hesitated in replying due to the time that
had expired since the posting.

Perhaps, it is possible to rename the group (No, I DONT intend to do it
myself).  What do all of you think?

Regards,

--
				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (12/15/84)

> I'm sure I missed the boat on this one.  I'm really backlogged as far
> as my news reading is concerned, and I probably missed the discussion
> on the creation of this group (unless it was one of the unilaterally
> created ones).  HOWEVER!! Shouldn't this group have been named
> net.sources.wanted??

I vote yea.  It's more approriate, by my opinion.
--
Robert Viduya
Office of Computing Services

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (12/16/84)

In article <735@sjuvax.UUCP> bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) writes:
>I'm sure I missed the boat on this one.  I'm really backlogged as far
>as my news reading is concerned, and I probably missed the discussion
>on the creation of this group (unless it was one of the unilaterally
>created ones).  HOWEVER!! Shouldn't this group have been named
>net.sources.wanted??

Nope, it is correct as "net.wanted.sources".  We created this group
about 3 months ago to get all of the "I need the source for foo"
articles out of net.sources.  We didn't name it "net.sources.wanted"
because that would mean that all of those requests would get archived
along with "net.sources" at the sites which archive that newsgroup --
thus defeating one of the primary goals of creating the newsgroup.

There was discussion on this topic when the group was created, but
since nearly everybody agreed with the decision, it didn't last long
(the discussion, that is).
--
Gene "8 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332