[comp.sys.apollo] Multiplexing X events with other events

m20563@MWVM.MITRE.ORG (JOHN PYBURN) (10/05/90)

We are attempting to come up with an event based loop that would deal with
both an X event and some type of Interprocess Communication Event (RPC,
socket, something else ?). Anybody out there done anything like this ?

i.e. Either doing a select or an ec2_$wait on both x events and other events ?
*        Thanks Much,
*                    John
*        Internet jpyburn@mitre.org

dpg@citi.umich.edu (David Gorgen) (10/08/90)

In article <9010051535.AA15148@mwunix.mitre.org> m20563@MWVM.MITRE.ORG (JOHN PYBURN) writes:
> We are attempting to come up with an event based loop that would deal with
> both an X event and some type of Interprocess Communication Event (RPC,
> socket, something else ?). Anybody out there done anything like this ?
>
> i.e. Either doing a select or an ec2_$wait on both x events and other events ?
> *        Thanks Much,
> *                    John
> *        Internet jpyburn@mitre.org

You can use the Xlib macro ConnectionNumber or routine XConnectionNumber
to get the file descriptor of the connection to the X server.  Once you
have that you can use it in a select call with whatever other fd's you
want.

    --  Dave Gorgen
--
Dave Gorgen / GTD-East (formerly Apollo Computer), Hewlett-Packard Company
located at:  University of Michigan, CITI          dpg@citi.umich.edu