[comp.sys.apollo] addressees at APOLLo.COM

tfabian@falcon (Teddy Fabian) (10/01/90)

sorry to waste bandwidth...

I've received mail in the past few weeks from two folks
with addresses at APOLLO.COM... I've tried to reply to them
both and had mail bounce..

so, specifically to

   ROD@APOLLO.COM

      yes, I'm interested in hearing more about what you asked..

    HOLBROOK@APOLLO.COM

      thanks for the info you sent... it's quite useful...

please either try to contact me voice, or privde an alternate email
address....

   Ted Fabian    NASA Lewis Research Center

      216-433-6307

Thanks,    Ted Fabian   NASA Lewis Research Center
           tfabian@falcon.lerc.nasa.gov    *my opinions
           tfabian@mars.lerc.nasa.gov      *are my own..

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (10/02/90)

> I've received mail in the past few weeks from two folks
> with addresses at APOLLO.COM... I've tried to reply to them
> both and had mail bounce..

The gateway to Apollo is

     15.20.88.126     apollo.hp.com

Atleast within HP/Apollo, apollo.com doesn't exist [anymore].

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

In article <1990Sep30.171715.4183@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> tfabian@falcon (Teddy Fabian) writes:
>I've received mail in the past few weeks from two folks
>with addresses at APOLLO.COM... I've tried to reply to them
>both and had mail bounce..

I was going to post a reply to you, but your from address is 'tfabian@falcon',
which isn't going to get very far.  I'm not suprised you can't send mail to
anyone.

You don't say what the bounce was, however you might try user@apollo.hp.com,
although I've had no trouble using apollo.com.

								-kee

--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (10/02/90)

    I've received mail in the past few weeks from two folks with addresses
    at APOLLO.COM...  I've tried to reply to them both and had mail
    bounce..

       ROD@APOLLO.COM

Try rod@apollo.hp.com.

	HOLBROOK@APOLLO.COM

Try holbrook@apollo.hp.com.

cricket

hostmaster@hp.com

mishkin@apollo.HP.COM (Nathaniel Mishkin) (10/03/90)

In article <101020008@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:
>> I've received mail in the past few weeks from two folks
>> with addresses at APOLLO.COM... I've tried to reply to them
>> both and had mail bounce..
>
>The gateway to Apollo is
>
>     15.20.88.126     apollo.hp.com
>
>At least within HP/Apollo, apollo.com doesn't exist [anymore].

It's all really somewhat more subtle than this.  First off, the
15.20.88.126 address won't do anyone (outside of HP) any good since this
address is not reachable from outside of HP.  Second, "apollo.com" does
exist, and refers to an address (15.254.24.1) that IS reachable.  If
you have an incredibly (months and months) old copy of the Internet host
table, your entry for "apollo.com" says 129.248.0.1, which is its old
address and which doesn't work any more.  Third, "apollo.hp.com" has
MX records which lead you to some reachable hosts that will forward mail
to people at HP/Apollo.  If your sendmail that talks to the outside world
is old enough to not support MX records (say, like--oops--the Apollo
sendmail), then you won't be able to use "apollo.hp.com".  Otherwise,
"apollo.hp.com" should be the address you use.  The spaces of user names
under "apollo.com" and "apollo.hp.com" are identical (i.e.,
"foo@apollo.com" and "foo@apollo.hp.com" are equivalent).

--
                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Cooperative Object Computing Operation

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/03/90)

Oddly enough, the last time MIT's campus network tried to get
an IP number for apollo.hp.com, it was for a machine which was
internal to the HP network and which did not show up when the
local name servers tried to get its IP address. Has this been
changed recently?

By the way, your mail came via "hpcvlx%hp-pcd%sdd.hp.com@ucsd.edu".
You have a number of hostnames that are not fully qualified in
that address. This is a common problem with this mailing list --
return addresses with forwarding paths that may or may not be
usable.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct2.140857@apollo.HP.COM> mishkin@apollo.HP.COM (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:

   Third, "apollo.hp.com" has
   MX records which lead you to some reachable hosts that will forward mail
   to people at HP/Apollo.  If your sendmail that talks to the outside world
   is old enough to not support MX records (say, like--oops--the Apollo
   sendmail), then you won't be able to use "apollo.hp.com".

Yeah, there are a lot of hosts I can't talk to from my apollo. How can I
get a sendmail that *does* speak MX records?

TIA!

INET: chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov (128.183.10.155)        NASA/GSFC: Code 735
UUCP: ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris               Greenbelt, MD 20771
SPAN: PITCH::CHRIS                    Fax: 301-286-9214  Phone: 301-286-6093

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (10/04/90)

    Oddly enough, the last time MIT's campus network tried to get an IP
    number for apollo.hp.com, it was for a machine which was internal to
    the HP network and which did not show up when the local name servers
    tried to get its IP address.  Has this been changed recently?

I'm sorry, David - I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If you mean that the
nameservers for apollo.hp.com weren't reachable on the ARPA Internet, I
know that two of them are (now, anyway).

And yes, the IP address for apollo.hp.com isn't reachable outside the HP
Internet, but the MX list for apollo.hp.com includes two hosts -
amway.ch.apollo.hp.com and hp-sde.sde.hp.com - which are.  Any MX-capable
version of sendmail should be able to get to apollo.hp.com without any
problems.

cricket

the hostmaster-at-large in san francisco	/	hostmaster@hp.com

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (10/04/90)

In article <CHRIS.90Oct3100351@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov> chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:
>In article <1990Oct2.140857@apollo.HP.COM> mishkin@apollo.HP.COM (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:
>
>   Third, "apollo.hp.com" has
>   MX records which lead you to some reachable hosts that will forward mail
>   to people at HP/Apollo.  If your sendmail that talks to the outside world
>   is old enough to not support MX records (say, like--oops--the Apollo
>   sendmail), then you won't be able to use "apollo.hp.com".
>
>Yeah, there are a lot of hosts I can't talk to from my apollo. How can I
>get a sendmail that *does* speak MX records?

I've got a sendmail which does check with the name-server. It was compiled by
some one here at our faculty. It comes without guarantees.

I'll wbak the file, compress it, and put it on our anon-FTP
	ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl (131.155.2.25) /pub/apollo/sendmail.Z

Like I said: You can use it, but there's no service with the deal!

Ciao
	Willem Jan Withagen.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (10/04/90)

In article <ianh.655080894@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:

   Does the version of sendmail shipping with sr10.3 (which we **hope** to be
   getting at long last :-) correctly support the use of named, MX records and
   other related goodies ??? What version is it .... 5.61, or more likely as
   Nat pointed out, something considerably earlier?? (it would be too
   much to expect it to be the recently released 5.64)

hufsa 64 % /com/bldt

     **** Node 1BAA4 ****   "//hufsa"
Domain/OS kernel(10), revision 10.3, beta3  June 6, 1990  1:59:14 pm
                               ===========
hufsa 65 % /usr/lib/sendmail -bs
220 hufsa Sendmail  5.52 (85)/imf-C-1.4 ready at Thu, 4 Oct 90 15:09:19 +0100
                    ========
quit
221 hufsa closing connection

I am very much afraid this answers your question.  The good news is
that "porting" 5.61 to the Apollo is almost no work at all (hence one
wonders why HPollo did not bother); and with luck, 5.64 may be just as
easy.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (10/04/90)

> >to people at HP/Apollo.  If your sendmail that talks to the outside world
> >is old enough to not support MX records (say, like--oops--the Apollo
> >sendmail), then you won't be able to use "apollo.hp.com".
> Does the version of sendmail shipping with sr10.3 (which we **hope** to be
> getting at long last :-) correctly support the use of named, MX records and
> other related goodies ??? What version is it .... 5.61, or more likely as
> Nat pointed out, something considerably earlier?? (it would be too
> much to expect it to be the recently released 5.64)
The pre-release (bost-beta) 10.3 (10.03.a) that came with our Mentor workstations
responds as follows --
    $ //montreal/usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d99
    Version  5.52 (84)
    ADDRESS TEST MODE
    Enter <ruleset> <address>
    > *** EOF ***

    $ ts //montreal/usr/lib/sendmail
    Ver Name              Time Stamp                     File Name
    c 1 version           1989/09/28  9:15:56 CDT (Thu)  //montreal/usr/lib/sendmail

Doesn't look too modern to my eye.

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (10/04/90)

David Krowitz pointed out to me that Apollo ships a version of sendmail
which isn't MX-smart.  And it makes sense that lotsa folks running Apollo's
port of sendmail would be interested in talking to Apollo.  For those of
you in these circumstances, either

user@apollo.com

or

user%apollo.hp.com@amway.ch.apollo.hp.com

should work from non-MX-smart hosts.

cricket

hostmaster@hp.com

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/05/90)

mishkin@apollo.HP.COM (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:

>to people at HP/Apollo.  If your sendmail that talks to the outside world
>is old enough to not support MX records (say, like--oops--the Apollo
>sendmail), then you won't be able to use "apollo.hp.com".

Does the version of sendmail shipping with sr10.3 (which we **hope** to be
getting at long last :-) correctly support the use of named, MX records and
other related goodies ??? What version is it .... 5.61, or more likely as
Nat pointed out, something considerably earlier?? (it would be too
much to expect it to be the recently released 5.64)

Has anyone out there ported 5.64?

			ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

paul@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Paul Killey) (10/05/90)

compiling 5.61 sendmail on apollos is one thing, but getting
functionality people assume therein is another.

E.g.

What if this sequence fails?
	pw = getpwuid(geteuid());

Well, if it fails in one place, all your outbound mail is from
postmaster, and not who really sent it.  If it fails elsewhere you
reference a null pointer and blow up.  Vanilla sendmail does not
accomodate transient registry failures.  You can bounce mail with "No
such user" when the error is really a temporary failure that should
return a 421 code, or an OK with a retry from the queue later.

In addition to rgy quirks, there is the (different from Unix) apollo
notion of file concurrency control.  Do you have a high tolerance for
"Unknown error mailer error #1" messages when /bin/mail exits with a
status of 1?  Or "text file busy" or whatever when your /usr/spool/mail
file is being accessed simultaneously from 2 different nodes?

If you usually have your alias files automatically updated (have OD in
your .cf file), or just have the bad luck to have sendmail try an alias
lookup while another one is doing a dbminit() on another node, you lose
because dbminit() opens the files for write, even if you end up only
needing to read them.

Etc.

In article <4d34a015e.000f088@caen.engin.umich.edu> paul@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Paul Killey) writes:

>compiling 5.61 sendmail on apollos is one thing, but getting
>functionality people assume therein is another.
>
>E.g.
>
>What if this sequence fails?
>	pw = getpwuid(geteuid());
That probably explains why every so often all mail starts going
out with a sender apparently picked randomly from the password file.

>In addition to rgy quirks, there is the (different from Unix) apollo
>notion of file concurrency control.  Do you have a high tolerance for
>"Unknown error mailer error #1" messages when /bin/mail exits with a
You should be so lucky.  If there's an rgyd error you are likely to
get a failure in /bin/mail too, and that particular failure doesn't
set any error codes.  /bin/mail will do an exit(0) and the mail will
get thrown away.

By all means pick up a /bin/mail replacement somewhere and make sure
it doesn't have that bug.  Apollo has no plans to fix it.

						-kee

--

mike@tuvie (Inst.f.Techn.Informatik) (10/05/90)

In article <1500003@hpcc01.HP.COM> cricket@hpcc01.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) writes:
>David Krowitz pointed out to me that Apollo ships a version of sendmail
>which isn't MX-smart.  And it makes sense that lotsa folks running Apollo's
>port of sendmail would be interested in talking to Apollo.  For those of
>you in these circumstances, either
>
>user@apollo.com
>
>or
>
>user%apollo.hp.com@amway.ch.apollo.hp.com
>
>should work from non-MX-smart hosts.

Thanks for this hint. But this of course is only a temporary hack! The
real solution to this problem is for HP/Apollo to port a new sendmail
version (preferbaly 5.64) to DomainOS.

				bye,
					mike
Michael K. Gschwind, Institute for VLSI-Design, Technical University, Vienna
mike@vlsivie.at                 1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door
mike@vlsivie.uucp               5-6-7-8 innovate don't litigate
e182202@awituw01.bitnet         9-A-B-C interfaces should be free
Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144      D-E-F-O look and feel has got to go!
Fax:   (++43).1.569697

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (10/05/90)

In article <4d34a015e.000f088@caen.engin.umich.edu>, paul@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Paul Killey) writes:

  compiling 5.61 sendmail on apollos is one thing, but getting
  functionality people assume therein is another.

Agreed.  I have mine set up so that outbound mail simply gets relayed to
another, "smarter" machine.  I am the only user of sendmail on my (logical)
network.  Don't ask me about inbound mail, it will disgust you.

At least on large installation of Apollo nodes that I know of just runs
sendmail on a single node, with a daemon that picks outbound messages out of
a big "pre-sendmail" spool directory.  Individual nodes don't run sendmail
at all, they just run a simple program that inserts messages into the spool
directory.  This clearly doesn't scale well.

Too bad Apollo never did a really good mail system.  The Domain architecture
would seem to be ideally suited to some kind of whiz-bang, distributed NCS
based mailer.  But writing and maintaining mailers is a black hole of
programmer time (as Paul is no doubt aware!)

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (10/09/90)

> And yes, the IP address for apollo.hp.com isn't reachable outside the HP
> Internet, but the MX list for apollo.hp.com includes two hosts -
> amway.ch.apollo.hp.com and hp-sde.sde.hp.com - which are.  Any MX-capable
> version of sendmail should be able to get to apollo.hp.com without any
> problems.

I've been told that HP's official e-mail addressing form is:

     person@hpsite_and_or_hpdivision.hp.com

     eg,  tomg@cv.hp.com

As pointed out, the machine listed may not be visible to the outside
world, and I was wrong in posting an address # for apollo.hp.com

Its been my experience that the host name(s) formed above aren't always
resolvable by my friends outside of HP; I guess they don't understand MX
lists, or whatever.  In such cases, I don't depend on any "default" HP
gateway to resolve things, but instead, I have them use:

     person%hpsite_and_or_hpdivision.hp.com@a_known_hp_gateway

     eg,  tomg%cv.hp.com@hplabs.hp.com

This second e-mail addressing form has yet to fail me or any of my friends.

Thomas "I never did/will understand the e-mail magic" Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com