[comp.sys.apollo] Renice and ppri, only for those that are authorised??

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (10/04/90)

Hi ya'll

I know that it's not nice to keep hammering (or would the word be bashing)
Apollo, BUT!

Did anybody read the manual page for /etc/renice. Well it states that
a normal user can only change it's 'own' priorities, and the SuperUser
can change any.
As to be expect: It is not true.

Now this I don't really consider something to get mad about.
What I do get mad about is that the manual page is just one plain lye.
Anybody can change anybodies priorities with /etc/renice.
Now this could also be done with ppri and here the manual does not mention
any restriction. So it's not all that smart to restict one program, and
have another around which does the job without restriction.

I expect this to fall into the catagory of "features like by some of our
users" as mentioned in the HP-response to the open letter.
(This letter was considered nothing but PR-humbug by a lot of people
 I spoke!!)

Is there anything that can be done about this? (I mean the priority problem,
not about the HP-response. :-) )

Again this question could be seen in the view of asking Apollo to be more
UniX. I don't see it this way. I would like Apollo's to be safe,
(Given that this is only a minor quirk) and that would mean that things
like ppri and renice have a restriction list. Instead of being wide open!
I consider it even a better solution when only root ( and not the node_owner )
could upgrade priorities, instead of everybody.

Thanx,
	Willem Jan.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

awhitton@bwdla30.bnr.ca (Alan Whitton @ BNR) (10/05/90)

In article <836@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl>, wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan
Withagen) writes:
|> Hi ya'll
|>
|> I know that it's not nice to keep hammering (or would the word be
bashing)
|> Apollo, BUT!
|>
|> Did anybody read the manual page for /etc/renice. Well it states
that
|> a normal user can only change it's 'own' priorities, and the
SuperUser
|> can change any.
|> As to be expect: It is not true.

Well we found this one out after we found that the RGYD process which
usually hogs CPUs suddenly being niced way down. The fix that the
hot line gave me was "... simply change the ACLs so only root can
execute it...", JEEZ!

An APR has been submitted on this  APR DC94E  (although I don't know
what it is now in the HP world...).

Cheers,
Alan Whitton

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (10/06/90)

In article <836@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl> wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) writes:
>Did anybody read the manual page for /etc/renice. Well it states that
>a normal user can only change it's 'own' priorities, and the SuperUser
>can change any.
>As to be expect: It is not true.
>
>Now this I don't really consider something to get mad about.
>What I do get mad about is that the manual page is just one plain lye.
>Anybody can change anybodies priorities with /etc/renice.
>Now this could also be done with ppri and here the manual does not mention
>any restriction. So it's not all that smart to restict one program, and
>have another around which does the job without restriction.
>
>I expect this to fall into the catagory of "features like by some of our
>users" as mentioned in the HP-response to the open letter.
>(This letter was considered nothing but PR-humbug by a lot of people
> I spoke!!)

"Isn't this a nice feature" was their response when I APR'ed this over a
year ago.  This "feature" is ridiculous - anyone can change the priority
of ANY process, either up or down.
Note also that renice priorities 2 through 20 inclusive are in fact all
the same Domain/OS priority, negating most
attempts to run background jobs deep in the background.

>Is there anything that can be done about this? (I mean the priority problem,
>not about the HP-response. :-) )

We will have to wait and see if anything happens re the letter - at the
ADUS conference in San Diego, it was discussed at some length, and
"action plans are being formulated".

The problem will not be fixed before SR11, and is only under consideration
even then (same with the mapping of priorities 2-20 to the same real
priority).

>Again this question could be seen in the view of asking Apollo to be more
>UniX. I don't see it this way. I would like Apollo's to be safe,
>(Given that this is only a minor quirk) and that would mean that things
>like ppri and renice have a restriction list. Instead of being wide open!
>I consider it even a better solution when only root ( and not the node_owner )
>could upgrade priorities, instead of everybody.

I completely agree.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct5.170012.13818@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) writes:
>"Isn't this a nice feature" was their response when I APR'ed this over a
>year ago.  This "feature" is ridiculous - anyone can change the priority
>of ANY process, either up or down.

You may even shock if you're running pre-SR10.2, anyone can sigp (kill) any
process not own by the user.

tim@apollo.HP.COM (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (10/09/90)

In article <4d46b8d1.12c9a@digital.sps.mot.com> chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) writes:
>You may even shock if you're running pre-SR10.2, anyone can sigp (kill) any
>process not own by the user.

This transcript is from running bsd.  Yes, one can change priority, but
by changing the rights on the node owners file, one can control who can
kill processes:

stubai% renice 20 -p 6699
6699: old priority 0, new priority 20
stubai% kill -TERM 6699
6699: Not owner
stubai% ps guaxN | grep xload | grep user
uid = 4d4bc4a4.60018998          user      6699 1376  290 ?       S N   0:02 xload
stubai% sigp -s -u 4d4bc4a4.60018998
?(sigp) Unable to signal "uid_process" - permission denied (OS/level 2 process manager)
stubai% lsacl /sys/node_data/node_owners
   Object ACL:
        root.%.%                prwx-
        %.staff.%               [Ignore]
        %.%.none                [Ignore]
      Extended entry mask:      -----
stubai%

UUCP: uunet!hi-csc!apcimsp!tim
ARPA: tim@apollo.com
Contents of this message has nothing to do with work.