[comp.sys.apollo] DIES on the Apollo/Runs on others

cox@software.org (Guy Cox) (10/04/90)

--- HERE is the output. --------

% shape
** MAIN PROGRAM ABANDONED -- EXCEPTION "storage_error" RAISED
In routine  "/local/cox/nouis/shape:.text" offset 145E4
Called from "/local/cox/nouis/shape:.text" offset 160AA
Called from "__genesis" line 17
Called from "PM_$CALL" line 176
Called from "pgm_$load_run" line 891
Called from "pgm_$invoke_uid_pn" line 1112
Called from "pm_$init" line 834

I'm looking for suggestions for solving this problem. This Ada
program instantiates a fairly large generic ( < 64K ). The code
runs on a PC under Alsys Ada and on the VAX/VMS Ada 2.X. The
author of the code has indicated that it has failed on a
VERDIX compiler on another UNIX computer (SUN). Can this problem be
solved by tweeking any of the packages in user_config ? How much
longer should I continue to bloody my forehead trying to get this
"toy" compiler on the Apollo to produce code that will run.
I'm using Domain Ada 3.0, SR10.2 and the BSD4.3 environment.

Ideas ?

--
//
//Remember; Tuesday is Soylent green day!

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

ramnarine@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ramnarine) (10/11/90)

In article <1684@software.software.org> cox@software.org (Guy Cox) writes:
> % shape
> ** MAIN PROGRAM ABANDONED -- EXCEPTION "storage_error" RAISED
> In routine  "/local/cox/nouis/shape:.text" offset 145E4
> Called from "/local/cox/nouis/shape:.text" offset 160AA
> Called from "__genesis" line 17
> Called from "PM_$CALL" line 176
> Called from "pgm_$load_run" line 891
> Called from "pgm_$invoke_uid_pn" line 1112
> Called from "pm_$init" line 834
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for solving this problem. This Ada
> program instantiates a fairly large generic ( < 64K ). The code
> runs on a PC under Alsys Ada and on the VAX/VMS Ada 2.X. The
> author of the code has indicated that it has failed on a
> VERDIX compiler on another UNIX computer (SUN). Can this problem be
> solved by tweeking any of the packages in user_config ? ...
> I'm using Domain Ada 3.0, SR10.2 and the BSD4.3 environment.

First of all, your explanation indicates that you are running into a general
bug or limitation in the Verdix Ada Development System.  DOMAIN/Ada is derived
from VADS.

Given your explanation, it sounds like you may be running out of stack space.
You can increase the stack size limit by following section 5.4.1 "Requesting
Larger Stack Sizes", in the "DOMAIN/Ada Development System Reference", Order
#008917-A01.  It explains how to use /usr/apollo/ada/user_config/config.a
to increase your stack_size.

If this does not solve your problem, please take advantage of your support
by calling 1-800-2APOLLO to report the details, so that we may rectify your
problem, for you and for others.

---
Mike Ramnarine
Hewlett-Packard Company, Apollo Systems Division
ramnarine@apollo.hp.com
-------