[comp.sys.apollo] Need elm for Apollos

sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) (10/10/90)

I would like to install elm (the latest version, whatever that is, and
where do I ftp it from????) on an Apollo DN3500 running DomainOS 10.2
and using the Sys V operating system.  I use elm on an HPUX machine and
would therefore like to do so on my Apollo systems BUT a couple of items
come up which concern me:

1)  Are there specific ports for the DM interface or would I just run
elm in a vt100 window (not a problem, really?)

2)  Would machines which ran elm (and were not the machine which is
the SMTP gateway machine) have a problem with the //nodename convention?

3)  Has there been an Apollo-specific port of elm done?

Thanks in advance,

--
Steve Scott            UUCP: uunet!csccat!camdev!sscott
Motorola, Inc.         Internet : sscott@mot.com  Telephone : 1-817-232-6317

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/11/90)

sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) writes:
>I would like to install elm (the latest version, whatever that is, and
>where do I ftp it from????) on an Apollo DN3500 running DomainOS 10.2
>and using the Sys V operating system.

>1)  Are there specific ports for the DM interface or would I just run
>elm in a vt100 window (not a problem, really?)
No it runs in a vt100 window.  No specifics are needed for DM that
way, or you can run it in an XTERM window, if you run X.

>2)  Would machines which ran elm (and were not the machine which is
>the SMTP gateway machine) have a problem with the //nodename convention?
Elm doesn't know nor care about the //node name convention.  Files
are files, as long as it can open them, close them, etc it doesn't
care.

>3)  Has there been an Apollo-specific port of elm done?
No need for one, Elm does run out of the box on Apollo's, however
sometimes, I will admit, the configure process does get a bit
confused about apollo's libs.  I have tried to keep it functional,
but have had my problems over the years.  You might have
to tweak the configure script.

I have compiled elm 2.3 on SR10.2 under bsd4.3 and sys5.3 environs
with only Configure problems.

Oh, and ftp depends on where you are, in the us, I recommend
wuarchive.wustl.edu or mthvax.miami.edu, there are also overseas
sites, see the complete list in any comp.mail.elm monthly posting.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

holtz@cascade.carleton.ca (Neal Holtz) (10/11/90)

In article <289@camdev.UUCP> sscott@mot.com (Steve Scott) writes:
>I would like to install elm (the latest version, whatever that is, and
>where do I ftp it from????) on an Apollo DN3500 running DomainOS 10.2
>and using the Sys V operating system.  I use elm on an HPUX machine and
>would therefore like to do so on my Apollo systems BUT a couple of items
>come up which concern me:
>
>1)  Are there specific ports for the DM interface or would I just run
>elm in a vt100 window (not a problem, really?)

Just run from a normal DM pad (probably also works from an explicit
vt100 window), except for 1 minor change to source.  See below.

>2)  Would machines which ran elm (and were not the machine which is
>the SMTP gateway machine) have a problem with the //nodename convention?

I don't know.

>3)  Has there been an Apollo-specific port of elm done?
>
>Thanks in advance,

I just used the standard sources (V2.3 PL6).  From the (monthly) october
comp.mail.elm posting:

=The following sites have agreed to make Elm available via anonymous ftp.
=
=	Site			Contact
=	mthvax.cs.miami.edu	a.e.mossberg, aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
=	  (129.171.32.5)
=	wuarchive.wustl.edu	David J. Camp, david@wubios.WUstl.EDU
=          (128.252.135.4)
=
=	In Europe:
=	sol.cs.ruu.nl		Edwin Kremer, edwin@cs.ruu.nl
=	(131.211.80.5)
=
=	In the UK:
=	uk.ac.soton.ecs		T.Chown@ecs.soton.ac.uk (bitnet)

and ran Configure with no problems.

One small change to the order that a couple of routines were called in init.c:

*** init.c.orig	Thu Jul 26 14:26:30 1990
--- init.c	Wed Jul 18 16:07:23 1990
***************
*** 106,112 ****
--- 106,114 ----
  	char     buffer[SLEN], *cp;

  	sprintf(version_buff, "%s PL%d", VERSION, PATCHLEVEL);
+ #if !defined(APOLLO)
  	Raw(ON);
+ #endif

  	/* save original user and group ids */
  	userid  = getuid();
***************
*** 198,203 ****
--- 200,211 ----
  	    exit(1);	/* all the errors share this exit statement */
  	  }
  	}
+
+ #if defined(APOLLO)
+ 	Raw(ON);  /* do this after initializing the screen - due to the pre-patch Apollo SR10.2 pty problem
+ 		     (tgetent starts the vt100 emulator, and if CBREAK was ON before, it causes
+ 		     problems */
+ #endif

  	if (debug < 5) {	/* otherwise let the system trap 'em! */
  	  signal(SIGQUIT, quit_signal);		/* Quit signal 	            */

This requires -DAPOLLO on Makefile.

Also, I hacked wnewmail to run in an invisible window, popping it up when mail arrives,
and making it invisible again when the mail has been read.  I can mail you the diffs, if
you are interested.

--
Prof. Neal Holtz,  Dept. of Civil Eng.,  Carleton University,  Ottawa, Canada
Internet: holtz@civeng.carleton.ca   Tel: (613)788-5797    Fax: (613)788-3951

holtz@cascade.carleton.ca (Neal Holtz) (10/11/90)

Sorry, I forgot one point in my last note:

In order to install Elm and filter to run as setgid programs,
you must login as 'root' and do the following:

	make -i install

	/etc/chown bin.mail /usr/local/bin/elm
	/bin/chmod 2755 /usr/local/bin/elm
	/etc/chown bin.mail /usr/local/bin/filter
	/bin/chmod 2755 /usr/local/bin/filter

This is because the makefiles try to do 'chgrp mail /usr/local/bin..'
and, despite the man page for chgrp, it doesn't work from root.
Perhaps because there is no 'root.mail' in my registry, but there
is a 'bin.mail' ...???

NOTE:  This has now been changed in my Makefiles in src and filter,
and also in config.sh, by changing the chgrp program to '/etc/chown', and
the mailgrp to 'bin.mail'.