[comp.sys.apollo] Converting fonts to and from X

bts@unx.sas.com (Brian T. Schellenberger) (10/10/90)

To answer my earlier query on the subject:

Under 10.2, EDFONT can read in an Apollo-format font, and then
save it out into BDF format.  From here, you can use bdftosnfto
convert it to snf format.

Then use mkfontdir in the directory where the font resides,
   *OR*
move it to one of the "standard" font directories.
In either case, you will probably need to edit the resulting
fontdir, since bdftosnf preserves the original (DM) file name as the alias,
and this is usally not correct.

Then, if you did not move the font to one of the "standard" places,
use xset +fp <dir> to add the directory as a place to look, or use
xset fp rehash if you added it to a place already on your path.

Now you can use the font.  To verify this, try xfd first.
--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		bts@unx.sas.com
-- (Brian Schellenberger)

hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) (10/10/90)

	Date: 9 Oct 90 20:12:03 GMT
	From: bts%mozart@rti.uucp  (Brian T. Schellenberger)
	Subject: Converting fonts to and from X
	Sender: apollo-request@umix.cc.umich.edu
	To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu

[...]

Actually, I have tried this sort of conversion quite often, as I detest the
standard X-fonts. But when I try to convert those eye-saving DM-fonts I am
used to (say f7x13) the resulting BDF (and SNF) font does not come out right
in programs like xterm, emacs, epoch etc.: The metrics, in particular the
inter-character spacing is way too small. Have you observed this too? Do you
have any suggestions?

Anyone like to comment on enhancements to the X-environment in areas such
as standard fonts, standard colors, STANDARD CLIENTS which are vital to
user-acceptance?

Martin Anantharaman

FB7, FG7 (Mechanik)		Work:	+49 (203) 379-3336
Universitaet -GH- Duisburg	Home:	+49 (203) 37 65 89
Lotharstr. 1			FAX:	+49 (203) 379-3052
4100 Duisburg 1			E-Mail: hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de
West Germany

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (10/12/90)

In article <9010100805.AA04713@duc220.uni-duisburg.de>, hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de (Frik) writes:
  Actually, I have tried this sort of conversion quite often, as I detest the
  standard X-fonts. But when I try to convert those eye-saving DM-fonts I am
  used to (say f7x13) the resulting BDF (and SNF) font does not come out right
  in programs like xterm, emacs, epoch etc.: The metrics, in particular the
  inter-character spacing is way too small. Have you observed this too? Do you
  have any suggestions?

The inter-character spacing gets lost in the conversion.  What I do is set
the inter-character spacing to 0, and increase the width of each character
by the same amount that was the old inter-character spacing.  This can be
done globally in edfont, I think.  You can also use edfont to change the
name of the font to make it fit in with the X font naming scheme (whatever
that is).