[comp.sys.apollo] vt100 hang problem

srj@spam.scs.com (Stephen Jamieson) (10/18/90)

I am having a problem with the vt100 server under
SR10.2. It gets hung up in vte_$create somewhere.

I read in the patch release notes that vtserver under
10.1 had problems (m0142) but it specifically says
only 10.1. Has anybody experienced this ?

If so, is there a patch out ?

steve

                      +--------------------+
     Stephen Jamieson |  (())              | Mentor Graphics
      srj@sdl.scs.com |  |  |  Don't have  | Silicon Design Division
        uunet!sdl!srj |  <00>  a cow man!  | 15 Independence Blvd.
       (201) 580-0102 |  | >|  /           | Warren, NJ 07060
                      |  |_C'              |
                      +--------------------+

mcguire@math.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire) (10/19/90)

In article <696@spam.scs.com>, srj@spam.scs.com (Stephen Jamieson) writes:

|> I am having a problem with the vt100 server under
|> SR10.2. It gets hung up in vte_$create somewhere.

One thing you might check is the integrity of your pseudo ports. At one
time I had a version of vn that left the port it attatched to corrupted.
An obvious indication that the port was hosed was that the vt100 emulator
hung in one of the "create" (could have been vte_$create) routines as it
tried to acquire the port. An /etc/mkdev is worth trying.

Charlie McGuire				mcguire@math.uiowa.edu
Systems Programmer			mcguire@cs.uiowa.edu
Dept. of Computer Science
The University of Iowa

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (10/20/90)

In article <2800@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mcguire@math.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire) writes:
>In article <696@spam.scs.com>, srj@spam.scs.com (Stephen Jamieson) writes:
>|> I am having a problem with the vt100 server under SR10.2.
>One thing you might check is the integrity of your pseudo ports.
> ...  An /etc/mkdev is worth trying.

It certainly is worth trying, but all our SR10.2 systems required an
'/etc/mkdev pty' (which must be done by 'root') after every
vi/page/anythingelsethatusesvt100.
This problem was patched eventually on some systems, but not all.
Since we couldn't do anything useful in DM, we switched to X :-), which
we were going to do anyways - this just supplied urgency.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca