[comp.sys.apollo] Invoking a program called "next" from an Aegis shell

turner@smart.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (10/17/90)

I have a program called "next".  I would like to be able to invoke it
from an Aegis window.  The problem is that "next" is an Aegis shell
builtin (sort of).  Even when "next" can be found in my command search
rules, by typing "next" at the "$" prompt, nothing happens.  If I
fully qualify the program, /usr/local/bin/next, the program works.

Limitations:
    I don't want to run a C Shell.
    I don't want to change the name of the program.
    I don't want multiple copies of the program.

Any suggestions?

Robert

--
Robert Turner (602) 897-5441 Semiconductor Systems Design Technology, Motorola
turner@dover.sps.mot.com   OR   ...!uunet!dover!turner

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/19/90)

With the limitations you give, there is no solution. The Aegis shell will always find
a reserved word ("next") before it finds a file in your search path.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

In article <9010191547.AA20147@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>With the limitations you give, there is no solution. The Aegis shell will always find
>a reserved word ("next") before it finds a file in your search path.

I don't have the original message here, but I can guess.  It is strange
that "next" is caught as a reserved keyword.  Once upon a time all of
the keywords were reserved all of the time.  I fixed them (when I was at
Apollo, obviously) to that things like "then" and "else" were only
active when you were actually in an "if" construct.  I don't recall
why "next" didn't make it into that category.  Of course some people
might consider being valid sometimes and not others to be a bug too,
but what can you do?
						-kee

--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.