[comp.sys.apollo] Trying to copy X11 from 10.2 to 10.1 node

mth@cci632.UUCP (Michael Hickman) (10/19/90)

	We have one DN2500 (10.2), a new Series 400 (pre-release 10.3),
and 10 DN[34]XXX (10.1.1) machines.  I would like to run the
Xapollo server on a couple of the 10.1 machines.  I have tried
copying the /lib/x* libraries from the DN2500 to a 10.1 machine,
link the /usr/X11 and /usr/*/X11 directories to the DN2500
machine, and copy the /etc/Xapollo server from the DN2500.

	When I try to invoke Xapollo, I get a "reference to undefined
global (process manager/loader)" error.  Since I didn't really
expect this to work, I'm not disappointed.

	Should this work?  Is there something simple I missed?
Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Michael Hickman   CAE/CAD Systems Administrator
Computer Consoles, Inc.     mth@cci.com
Rochester, NY

glen@Alliant.COM (Glen Valente) (10/19/90)

>	When I try to invoke Xapollo, I get a "reference to undefined
>global (process manager/loader)" error.  Since I didn't really
>expect this to work, I'm not disappointed.
>
>	Should this work?  Is there something simple I missed?
>Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Sorry, this should not work and will not work..... The server
Xapollo depends on files like dm, gprlib,....  At 10.2 the X
server uses awslib which was broken out of gprlib at 10.1.

If you _really_ want X for your 10.1 node, see mit or your
sales person and ask for version 1.1 and patch 67(i think).
FYI, the performance will not compare with that at 10.2

--glen

ganek@apollo.HP.COM (Dan Ganek) (10/23/90)

> From: mth@cci632.UUCP (Michael Hickman @ Computer Consoles, Inc.)
> (18 lines) More? [ynq]
>
> 	We have one DN2500 (10.2), a new Series 400 (pre-release 10.3),
> and 10 DN[34]XXX (10.1.1) machines.  I would like to run the
> Xapollo server on a couple of the 10.1 machines.  I have tried
> copying the /lib/x* libraries from the DN2500 to a 10.1 machine,
> link the /usr/X11 and /usr/*/X11 directories to the DN2500
> machine, and copy the /etc/Xapollo server from the DN2500.
>
> 	When I try to invoke Xapollo, I get a "reference to undefined
> global (process manager/loader)" error.  Since I didn't really
> expect this to work, I'm not disappointed.
>
> 	Should this work?  Is there something simple I missed?
> Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

No, the sr10.2 Xapollo uses some system library routines that don't exist
on sr10.1 (as you found out)   However, PSK5 contains basically the same
Xapollo support as sr10.2. Contact your favorite HPapollo sales rep for info
on PSK5.

/dan ganek
ganek@apollo.hp.com